Good Pre-Amps For McIntosh

Any suggestions for a "synergistic" combination between McIntosh MC 601 monoblocks? I have some pre-amp problems and am thinking of replacing the pre-amp.

Stick with a McIntosh pre-amp? Go with something else? Tube or solid-state? The input impedance on the 601's is 22K. Speakers are Revels Ultima Salon 2's with a pair of Rel Subs.

Thanks.

PS
If you hate McIntosh there's really no need to post. Heck, I already know that I'm an uncultured idiot who can't hear real sound and wasted my money etc. I originally wanted the Levinson 53's, but they were out of my range. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xnab2
Budget? I’ve got an Audio Research Reference 6 feeding an MC452 and it sounds great. It was a huge improvement over the C47 it replaced. 
I use a MC352 and I have gone through several pre amps, here I will recommend two tube based because tubes will inject some real palpable sound with texture and awesome color with beauty of tone.

The Manley Labs 300B would be my first choice. Has a very low output impedance so it will drive those 601’s no problem. RCA only. If you like headphones, your really in for a treat as well.

www.manley.com/hifi/neo3br

The other very high on your consideration list should be the Modwright LS300
http://www.modwright.com/products/ls300-balanced-tube-preamplifier.php

Again very low output impedance can drive those 601’s no problem. Plus you can use balanced cables if thats appealing.

I like the Audio Research as well, but these two I like a little more:-)

Matt M

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd be interested in more. I was driving these with a Conrad Johnson 17LS2 (4 tubes) and sometimes with a CJ 18 SS. I liked the 17LS better. For some reason something weird has happened to both so I've sent them to CJ for diagnostics and perhaps repair. I'm tempted by the C53 because it's upgradeable and has an equalizer (miss that from years gone by), but it's not tubes and I wondered about the potential "sameness" of sound. As for price: I don't know as yet. The AR 6 is about $15k list, that might be a bit steep the 53 is $8,000 list. I've looked at the recommendations and will continue to so thanks!

Any other thoughts?
I am a pretty big fan of the Mc C22. A bit below your budget but it is an impressive unit. I like it better than the PS Audio BHK which I have owned and the phono stage in the C22 is far better than it should be. 
The PS Audio BHK is an interesting unit. Some people might prefer it to the C22 Don’t even plug it in with the stock tubes. But a pair of NOS Tunsgrams will bring it to life. I like the C22 better but could see where someone would prefer the BHK as it is probably a hair...cleaner sounding.

If you are considering CJ, I would encourage you to check out the Art Audio Conductor. To be clear, I import this line so I am biased but in the same token, the brand has been around for 30 years and is pretty good sounding. It is single ended, has a great headphone amp. 
I have a couple of customers who have older versions of our preamps paired with Mc amps and it sounds great. 
What is interesting that the gain is adjustable and can be tailored to whatever levels you like. It ships standard with 0dB and 25dB. The 0dB pairs with the amp and the 25dB for the headphone amp. But this could easily be tailored to 6dB or 12dB and 25dB if you like or really any other value. 
I have a demo in the US and will be showing it at Capital Audiofest. That unit will be sold after the show so I can bring in Conductor Simply2 for AXPONA.

If you want an equalizer, have you looked at the Roon Nucleus+? It had a really robust DSP/equalizer built in. You can set what frequencies you want to adjust across the audio spectrum. It is really cool.

I have had McIntosh pre/pro’s with Mc amps MC7205, MC352 and now Mc402, and switched to a Audio Research Ls-26 and now a Ref5se and am much happier with the ARC pre-amp sound. Although I have been considering Ayre but haven’t yet.