Gamut M250 MK3

I got a pair of Gamut M250 Mk3 mono-blocks that went in place of a D200 mk3. They were installed yesterday, and worked fine for a day. This morning I turned on the amps to warm up. A bit later I went back to the listening room and heard a very loud hum. First I looked out the window for a garbage truck; then put my ears against the speakers. Nothing there. It was coming from the amps. Power-cycle of both amps confirmed that both were making that noise, though one was louder than the other. About 10 minutes later the noise was gone. I have a feeling that this might be one of those intermittent problems that's difficult to track down, but I do want to get to the bottom of it while they're in warranty. To other owners of the M250, have you ever experience such a problem?
ping2357

Showing 7 responses by nico_g

Hello,
my GamuT D200 is directly connected to my dCS Elgar Plus, no preamp for me.
Do you have compared the Gamut with Pass amps, like the X350.5 or the new XA.5 series ?
The nwer Pass amps have correct input impedance.
And my source has a very low output impedance : less than 50 Ohms.
I like the GamuT a lot, but, you know, Pass is very good too : I talk about the Call A models like the XA100.5.
I'm sure that the Class AB designs like the X350.5 aren't as good with easy to drive speakers like mine.
The Tannoy GRF are 95db/W/m with 15" woofers and around 8 Ohms impedance.
Hello,
I ould like to have informations about the sonic differences between the D200 mkIII and the M250 mkIII.
I actually own a D200 mkIII with my Tannoy GRF and I'm very pleased with it.
I have the opportunity to buy M250 mkIII amps but is it a good idea ?
My other solution would be a class A amplifier, like Pass XA.5 series.
Thanks a lot for your advices.
Thanks for your answer.
The big differences between the D200 and M250 are more power and channel separation ? No big difference in sound, for example bass control or extension ?

What was the problem with the Pass : could you explain a bit more ?
Thanks for your answer.
SO, the M250 is worth the upgrade even if my speakers are easy to drive : Tannoy GRF ?
I can have a pair of M250 for a fair price.