Focal Sopra 2 Vs Wilson Sophia 3

If you have compared these two, what differences do you hear?  Strengths of each speaker?  Amps used and type of music played.

Thanks,

Jeff
128x128jglacken

Showing 2 responses by ejr1953

In 2015 I did a lot of music audio system upgrades, including the purchase of a new pair of Focal Sopra No2's, after listening to a lot of speakers from different, well-respected manufacturers, including Wilson Audio.

At one of my audio dealer visits the salesman asked if I enjoy "analytic" speakers more than "musical" ones, or vice versa.  I thought it was an interesting question, after thinking for a bit "musical" was my choice.

I have never enjoyed Wilson's, to me they sound too "shrill", being driven by high-end tube or solid state.  Having said that, I think they are great speakers, just not the sort of sound I enjoy.

I've had my Sopra's now for about eight months and enjoy them immensely.  Once I got them broken in and "dialed in" to the room, they have the most incredible "artist in the room" sound stage, excellent detail in the mid and high frequencies, the bass they have is excellent as well (I have a pair of subs too).  I am one who gets the "hots" to try new equipment, but the Sopra's won't be on that list anytime soon.
When I was searching for new speakers, eventually bought the Focal Sopra No2's, listened to the Wilson's and the Magico's.  The Magico dealer asked me if I preferred "analytic" or "musical" sounding speakers, he characterized the Magico's and Wilson's as "analytic".  In the case of the Magico S3's he said they wouldn't "come to life" until they were driven to loud levels.  I listened and agreed with his observation, both with the Magico's and the Wilson's.

These are all great speakers, just a matter of personal taste.  Which ever way you go, enjoy them!