Focal Scala Utopia V1 vs Competition in 2017

Hi

I have received a very tempting offer from our dealer of a traded in Scala Utopia V1 for 10k USD. Knowing that it has been released 9 years ago. 

How is the Scala V1 doing compared to the existing speaker market for maximum of 10k? Is the Sopra considered more advanced since it's relatively newer with the recent Focal research development? 

I really don't know if this is a steal bargain or getting rid of a not so good Utopia model. 

Please help 
128x128emerald

Showing 3 responses by bar81

I haven't heard the Sopras, but had the Focal Scala V1 from release until recently.  From the reports that I have read, I have not seen a single person prefer the Sopra 3 to the Scala. 

Note that the only difference between Scala V1 and V2 is a tuning of the bass (the V1 cannot be upgraded to V2 as there are physical differences between the units). 

One small point of caution on the Scalas is that the tweeter is slightly hot and not kind to sibilant recordings.  To the extent that you have tube gear, less revealing components/cables, slight loss of hearing in high frequencies or are generally not bothered by a slightly hot top end, I would be surprised if you can find a better speaker for the price being offered.
@emerald 

Congrats on the speakers.  

There's really no way to tell what cables will work best with a particular setup.  Best option is to work with your local dealers or set up an account with the Cable Co and try out various brands until you find the one that makes you happy.