Fellow Canucks, help me out svp. Thanks, Jeff

Appreciate any guidance you can provide. I sold a tuner to a gent in the U.S.; it got damaged in transit and he wants to return it to me for full refund. Fair enough. He tried to send it back to me UPS ground and UPS wanted $180 upon delivery, I refused the shipment. What carrier should be used that's reasonably priced without getting gouged when it comes back to me? How can I get this back to me without paying duties, taxes, brokerage fees? I bought it in Montreal and it's mine after all...It's an Audio Refinement Complete Tuner that I'll have repaired under warranty. Thanks!
jeffloistarca

Showing 2 responses by genesis168

What???!! $180 for duties and freight? The buyer should have asked for a quote on the shipping before just sending the stuff back. He should also have made a nt to the broker (UPS broker) that the merchandise was returned to Canada because it was DOA and he could have at least gave them the original bill of lading to confirm the situation before it was sent back to you.

Now, it is too late. What has been done has been done. All I can say is to ask UPS to hold the shipment and sort it out with the buyer saying he should be responsible for half the return shipment cost because he failed to get a quote and make proper documents for duty exempt on a return shipment.

Just my 2 cents
Tell the gent to send it together with original bill of lading and a note stating that the tuner originated from Canada and now being returned to Canada because it was damaged. Please call the couriers and speak to a customer rep and explain the situation so that they know what to do about the duties.