Dynavector DV501 with a Grado?

I have a Dynavector DV501 with an assortment of carts (Sumiko Blue-Point #2, AT-1000, Dynavector 20X2 HO, Denon DL 103D,etc.) TT is a Thorens TD125. I want to try the Grado Timbre series, Sonata3, Master3 or Reference3. I understand headshell with this cart and arm can be a problem. Does anyone have experience with this (or these) combos. I see little info on the web about these carts in general. Any information would be appreciated, especially on the carts and which headshell works best with this setup.

Bill Taylor

hotwater

For that table and arm I would HIGHLY recommend one of the GRADO wood body MI cartridges. a match made in heaven. I once used a Reference Sonata with awesome results.

Matt M

With the DV501 (or any DV tonearm), you have good control of the effective mass in the vertical plane, because it’s virtually identical to the mass of the headshell plus cartridge body plus any hardware fasteners, due to the very short and lightweight arm wand. (Also, choose one of the 3 optional counterweights that gets closest to the pivot at the needed VTF.) So, if you want to calculate the needed weight of a suitable headshell, just use the equation relating resonant frequency to compliance and effective mass. For that there are calculators on line. But a wide range of headshells weighing from 10 to 15g would probably work fine without any real need to calculate resonant frequency. Due to the design of the DV tonearms, the effective mass in the horizontal plane will always be on the high side, but since its motion is well damped magnetically, no problem.  If you want a more direct suggestion, I like Ortofon or either the Yamamoto or Oyaide carbon fiber headshell. Those latter weigh about 10g.

Bill, I've been using my 501 on my Garrard 401 for around fifteen years now, and I've used quite a few different cartridges on it, without problems. I don't claim to be knowledgeable about analog details, but I do know the 501 arm will acomodate many diferent cartridges without presenting problems.

The table, arm and cartridges are getting old with me, but they still satisfy on a daily basis.

Best regards,

Dan

I mounted this arm to the Thorens in 1992 for a reference of getting old. I have only once had to use the heavier counterweight. Most of my carts and headshells are matched within a few tenths so I don't have to fiddle with the counterweight. The Vertical is also a small pain which keeps me form changing carts much. I am hoping one of those Grados will be stop me from wanting to swap carts. I keep going back to the 30+ year old AT-1000 and yet it does not hold my attention well enough. 

Thanks for input

Best Regards

Bill

I moved up to the Statement3 today. I don't have it yet but was told it is 12 grams. I am still unsure what headshell to use with this. I would like to continue using the small sub weight on the 501 so it's easier to change carts around. The Dynavector headshell that the AT1000 is mounted in (Ill sell the AT) is my lightest @ 11 grams but has fixed holes. I also have an Orsonic but not sure how that would work. Any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I know what the web site says but Mr Chen at Grado told me 12 today. When it comes I will, weigh it.

BT

I have a few OEM DV headshells and I can recall it weighs a fraction over 10g. It’s not so much the weight of the cartridge that you need, although that counts toward effective mass, as it is the cartridge compliance. Anyway my advice is to go ahead and try it. By the way, every DV headshell I’ve ever seen is slotted, to allow for adjusting overhang.

I was wrong. I got home, took the AT1000 off and found slotted, not two holes as I remembered. 11.6 grams is what I measured. The Orsonic on the other hand does not look as though it can be used at all with a top threaded cart. Teach me to post from the office.

Best Regards

Bill

I've got two Orsonic headshells.  I would have thought you could use it with any cartridge.  When you say you cannot use it with a threaded-hole cartridge, do you mean because the Orsonic has threaded holes in its carrier piece?  I will check that. I own the AV101, which is the heaviest of the series so the limiting factor is effective mass.

It looks as though the cart is screwed down from the top. My Orsonic screws from the bottom.

Grado Signature3 came yesterday and the weight is11.15 grams. The screws weigh 1.2 grams. I mounted it on one of my DV headshells and combined weight 26.75 grams. I thought it might work. In reality, my stock sub-weight is too light. I can achieve balance at the limit, but just barely. Most of my carts were in the 16+ range. I gave the larger sub-weight away to a friend years ago. I purchased an AT 9 gram headshell so I can at least use what I've got to get going. I've been told that magnesium is better for this cart so I am on the hunt. By the way, the Orsonic I have has a smaller sliding cross beam than what is made today and does require top nuts.

Bets Regards to all

Bill

Statement3 not signature. I hate the new names. Ok, headshell combo is 20.5 grams. No hum. (LO) but fighting antiskate. About 1.7g VTF and only played for an hour. Sounds like I expected. I think it will open up. I'll post again when and if it changes. One note. It is a MF to set up. the wooden body is so large that it is almost impossible to see the cantilever or stylus without a mirror. I have never owned a cart this large. With Stevenson you are all the way to the end (closest ortofon coupling) on the DV501.  Spindle/tonearm set at 226mm checked and rechecked.

best regards

bt