Does anything better Jelco arm ~$1000

Been reading about the Jelco 850L and the other newer models as I look for arm with budget of ~ $1000 (new or used) to go with a Sota Star and Dynavector XX2mkII. Not a ton of user comments, but just about every one I've read (here, VA, vinylengine, and a few smaller boards) all imply thrilled owners and not a one who regrets the purchase. Sound quality performance value for its price is reportedly high and that has been my experience when I've heard the older 750 series and even their lower priced arms. Another arm under consideration is the Audiomods Series V.

My take so far:
Jelco: pro - longstanding reputation for quality, demonstrated by so many OEM arms provided to turntable manufacturers, good fit & finish, compatibility w/many carts of varying compliance, flexibility of changing headshells(including w/azimuth adjustment), high likelihood of parts/service if ever needed, likely decent resale value if I ever choose to go in another direction.
cons: extra electrical connection points @ armtube and headshell, lack of precise repeatable VTA adjustment (although EasyVTA aftermarket product can address this), knife edge bearings theoretically an improvement, but my impression is that in practice they often aren't ideal. 

To use a car analogy is this the Toyota Camry of tonearms? 

The Audiomods Series V:
pros: keeps the best aspect of the new Rega arm and replaces almost everything else with better design and quality parts, precise micrometer VTA adjustment, silver wire one piece loom from pins to plugs
cons: one man company uncertainties on parts/service if ever needed, relatively little user base or resale market, no opportunity to listen before buying,  a bit more costly than the Jelco. 
Hoping it's not a Saab 900; really cool when they were around but at some point a quirky performer from days gone by that might not be a keeper.

So anybody care to chime in on these or others that fit the bill in the same price range? If you're curious, the rest of the system is here: Austin City Within Limits. Cheers,
Spencer 
128x128sbank

Showing 7 responses by chakster

Jelco has a knife-edge bearings and it's not for every cartridge. 
My advice is to look for Victor UA-7082 (long version of the mighty UA-7045). It's a beautiful tonearm and within your budget! If you don't really need a "12 then just buy Victor UA-7045 (same arm, but shorter). The best tonearm made by Victor Lab. The short version is under $750 normally. VTA on the fly, superb armlift ... everything in this tonearm is great and it's a pure joy to use it. Goes well with MC and MM carts. 
I will read up on the Victor UA-7045. What vintage is typically available and are they all the same?

You have to look for UA-7045 or 7082 index only.
make sure to check side image or the armwand and counterweight in the extreme position on the end. If the counterweight is in line with the armwand then you’re fine (on the bad samples the counterweight is bent down). And if everything else is fine then it’s a nice tonearm. And believe me they are underrated, it’s reflected in the price, which is amazing for the buyers who knows what it is and how good it is. Highly competitive with much more expensive tonearms! Only the rubber in this tube that supported counterweight is a weak part, but i’ve owned 2 perfect samles without this problem. Tonearm is easy to use and it’s easy to swap and adjust cartridges on it (VTA on the fly etc). Not every tonearm will give you this feelings, and only for $750 max. It’s a bargain!

7082 is long version, rare and normally overpriced a bit (compared to 7045) when it turns up for sale. No difference, just slightly higher effective mass and length.

For both models there is an additional small counterweight to screw in on the back for heavier carts. I've never used this option, but it's good to have it if the shell and cart is on the heavy side.  
@lewm yes, my two sample of Victor UA-7045 were perfect and never refurbished (just perfect condition), there are samples without problems with the counterweight and rubber grommet (the original). I think it depends how it was stored and used by the previous owner. However, the problem can be fixed (rubber grommet replaced) even with the bad samples.  

I am talking about "not a slight sag" of a few degree, but a complete sag or 20-30 degree. What i am calling straight in line with the armwand is "a perfect sample" in my opinion. 

Our member Don Griffith posted about Victor arms way before me on audiogon, he's the one who compared UA-7045 to Lustre GST-801 and was going to sell his Graham tonearm. 
Jelco, Audiomods ... whatever new arm is available at this price point, do not ignore vintage tonearms designed in the 70s/80s. Especially if you want to exand your cartridge collection, most of the modern tonearms are not designed for high compliance cartridges.

Another killer tonearm that is so easy to set up and use is the original stand alone Sony PUA-7 (not the cheap junk people sells under this name, but removed from the sony turntables). The original PUA-7 has been sold separately from the turntable, it has the best armlift ever made, precision anti-skating and VTA on the fly. I love this tonearm.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18010070_1664384966912997_7703806084026204999_n.jpg?_n...

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18011135_1665976853420475_7039570777375233089_n.jpg?_n...
I decided to expand my love and just bought Victor UA-7082 (long tonearm)
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/etc/ua-7082.JPG

Looking forward to check it side by side with my UA-7045.

BTW has anyone ever replaced silicone oil in the armlift of some vintage tonearms ? I have to do it with one of my UA-7045.
SONY PUA-7 is agreat alternative to many modern tonearm over $1k including Jelco. The build quality of SONY PUA-7 is amazing (anti-skating, armlift, vta on the fly .. are precisely made and easy to use). Another picture is here, with its own SONY protractor, and with its own SONY headshell. Very nice tonearm! The price is a steal compared to many other tonearms.  
Currently listed my NOS (unused) complete set of Victor UA-7045 in original box for sale, rubber grommet is perfect (original), see how it looks. I will keep my longer version (UA-7082) for myself. Both are identical, except for the length. And to my surprice with provided subweight even Ortofon SPU can be attached to this arm! VTA on-the-fly and mane great features, love these arms.

The armtube is made of aluminum-magnesium-silicon alloy: Strength is three times that of conventional pure aluminum. This greatly reduces resonance.

The high-quality JVC UA-7045 gimbal support tonearm features high sensitivity and long lasting ruggedness. It permits low-mass, high-compliance cartridges to accurately track even the most complex groove undulations. The ultra-effective support system converges the effects of forces on both the horizontal and vertical planes on one point equidistant from both the horizontal and vertical bearings. Thus in principle the new gimbal support support of the UA-7045 works like a one-point support and is therefore very sensitive. However, its performance is far better than conventional gimbal or one-point types since it uses adjustment free bearing units.