Do you think you need a subwoofer?

Why almost any one needs subwoofers in their audio systems?

I talk with my audio friends about and each one give me different answers, from: I don't need it, to : I love that.

Some of you use subwoofers and many do in the speakers forum and everywhere.

The question is: why we need subwoofers ? or don't?

My experience tell me that this subwoofers subject is a critical point in the music/sound reproduction in home audio systems.

What do you think?
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas
Dear @enginedr1960: I think that you can have even better results if your monitor hi-pass changes from 50hz to 80hz. You can do it listen it and decide about. It's only an alternative to test it.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Thanks  R I have been thinking that myself . I need to change the value of the amps signal line caps . I will give it a try .
Thanks, Noble. I did find the Romeyn website for the Debra, by searching on "Audiokinesis Debra", oddly. As you note, they are similar in price and very similar in composition.  So this begs the question, why are two different and so similar products co-existing?  Do you have a feel for the audible differences between the two?  And, a question I will address to Duke as well, does the set-up provide for a hi-pass filter to feed the amplifier that is driving the main speakers?

Hi Tim great thing about this hobby is there are many ways to achieve great sound . I chose my components very carefully based on my preferences . I do my research and know how to read in between the lines . I am a engine builder by trade I take the same approach in building a audio system as a high performance engine . I apply the system to the room . The Bent passive Dave Slagle autoformer volume control is a great component . The volume control in most audio systems is the weak link . Do some web research on transformer and autoformer volume controls . I have a great sounding system at the lower volume range then all the others I have heard . Remember you cant fix it unless you know how it works !     
Hi enginedr1960,

I agree with you completely, there really are many ways to achieve great sound.  I'm very impressed with the home-made distributed bass array system you created with your 4 Rel q201e compact subs and other components.

I've been assuming you have no need for your Bent passive Dave Slagle autoformer volume control and Minidsp 2 x 4 simply because I use no such tools in my system and it functions beautifully.  I admit my comments were made without a complete understanding of these products and how you utilize them in your system.
     I took your suggestion and did some research on the Bent passive volume control, the TAP system and the Dave Slagle Singleformer modules.  This seems to me to be a seriously high quality product/system and, if this is any indication, you obviously choose your system components carefully.  I believe you use this to control the volume and balance of your 2 front Rel subs via an optional remote.   I believe you use the Minidsp 2 x 4 units to control your 2 rear subs and perhaps even some room correction..

As you can see from the above, I only have a partial understanding of exactly how you use these products in your custom DBA  system.

However, I'm sincerely interested in learning more about how you utilize these products in your system.  I think sharing exactly how our DBS systems are configured would be a good way to learn from each other and could be mutually beneficial.  I hope you agree but please let me know if you don't.

Okay, I'll go first.  I think you'll find my system is a bit simpler than yours since I made a conscious effort to simplify my system about 2 yrs ago and I don't use any additional components:

The center of my system is the Oppo-105 Bluray player. Once I was familiar with this unit's extensive versatility and excellent quality, I began to simplify.  I removed my beloved VTL 2.5 tube preamp (with NOS Mullard tubes)  because 2-ch music sounded just as sweet and dimensional using the Oppo alone as a preamp due to its excellent audio section.  I then removed my Parasound AV-2500 surround processor because the Oppo's built in Dolby 5.1 decoder performed just as well.  All channel outputs are run directly into  4 class D amps (the front L+R mains via XLR cables and all others via RCA).  

I bought the audio Kinesis 4 sub Debra distributed bass array system a few months after the Oppo.  I run an RCA cable (with a single RCA connector on one end and dual RCA connectors on the other end)   from the single sub output on the Oppo to the L+R inputs on the Debra's supplied 1,000 watt class A/B sub amp.

This amp is a mono amp so all 4 4 ohm subs operate in mono mode in my system.  I found I cannot perceive any differences between mono and stereo bass until the bass crossover frequency is set unusually high ( above about 150 hertz).
      The supplied sub amp has 'A' and 'B' sets of speaker outputs.  I have the front 2 subs connected in parallel to the 'A' terminals and the rear 2 subs connected in parallel to the 'B' terminals.

The Oppo has a configuration menu that allows for the on-screen setup of the following:

Speaker Size- Each speaker is entered as either 'Small' or 'Large'. All 'Small" designated speakers have their bass augmented from the subs while all designated as 'Large' receive no bass augmentation.

Speaker Level Matching- This allows the matching of each channel's relative volume or setting to other preferred levels.  A system generated tone is played and the user cycles through each channel. The Speaker Size (large or small), speaker volume (from -10.00 db to +10.00 db in increments of .5 db), and distance from the listening position (from 0 to 60 ft in .25 ft increments for delays) are all set in this section.
    This Speaker Level Matching section also includes settings for the relative volume of the bass in this section.  There is also a volume control on the Debra amp that can be manually adjusted for fine tuning the desired bass level of the 4 subs. 

Sub crossover frequency- This allows the setting of a frequency (from 40 to 250 hertz in increments of 10 hertz) at which all bass frequencies at or below this hertz number are sent to the subs. I usually select a 40 hertz cutoff for 2-ch music and ia bit higher for HT.

After completing the rather extensive progressive setup procedure for the precise  positioning of each sub, the above describes the total extent of system configuration required.  I use absolutely no room treatments, microphones, sound meters, room analyzing/correcting software, DSP, tone controls or equalizers.  
     The system Master Volume is controlled through the Oppo's internal 32 bit digital volume control that is accessible either through the Oppo's front panel or supplied remote. I doubt this volume control is as precise as the 1 db changes  the Bent volume control is capable of but it is capable of small changes in volume.  
    I hope this helped you understand how relatively simply my system functions.  
     Please let me know your thoughts and let me know in more detail how your system functions.

Thanks,
    Tim