Devore 093 compared to o96

I have the o93, and with my Thoress amps I haven’t heard anything better. But I’m wondering as we do in this hobby.

who has upgraded from the o93 to the o96 and what were your findings?

I'm running mine with Thoress 845 and Thoress ff preamp.

thanks for your info and time.

Scott

52tiger

I currently own 96 and my friend owns 93. I have compared these two on other occasions as well. Believe it or not, I actually prefer 93 sound. 96, in hifi terms def do sound better(sound stage, bass, dynamics, treble extension) but 96 has its cons compare to 93. 96 at times can be too much in your face. Where as 93 sounds much more relaxed and balanced. 93 is better for long and comfortable listening session. 96 image bigger than the 93. 96 sounds almost like a proper horn speaker with dynamics on steroids. Its very exciting sound. maybe too exciting for my taste. I had a hard time finding right gears to match with 96 to tame this overwhelming dynamics. I have used 845 tube amps in the past with the 96. First impression was amazing, no doubt about it. Sounded like watching a huge fire work going off the sky. But it was too much in the end. Where as when I heard the 845 tube with the o/93, the balance was just right. It was not fatiguing at all whereas 96 with 845 was fatiguing after 30 min of listening. I currently use Supratek Pre with Firstwatt, Accuphase power amps and 6l6 tube integrated. They all sound dark. and this had to be done to somewhat tame o/96 overwhelming liveliness. Sources are soft sounding r2r DACs and soft sounding cartridge from zyx. Cables are warm sounding Cardas to again, tame the fatiguing upper midrange. 93 has def more choice of gears and cables for me because it is more forgiving speaker and I can enjoy it with variety of amps and sources.

FWIW, a Devore dealer felt that the 96 was significantly better than the 93.  I only demoed the 96 and loved the sound.

I’ve demoed the best/latest speakers I could find at high-end audio shows and many dealerships.  The 96 is one of the most musical speakers with detail that I’ve ever heard and likely will own a pair someday.  

I have owned both, and compared them side by side. I prefer the O/96 and now in my 7th year with these speakers.

However 0/93 speakers are much easier to get right, easier to place, easier to find amp match etc, easier with room sizes. O/96 is more finicky, it took me a long long time to find the right room/amp/placing for these speakers (years...). But they are worth it and are IMHO end-game speakers unless you have stupid-money for uber-speakers (and they might still not necessarily beat the O/96).

I am very curious to hear from people who have upgraded from O/96 to O/Bronze or the limited edition O Twenties, but guess it's still early days.