Dense, powerful sounding TT, decent top $3500 max?

I've had a VPI HW-19 Mk.III table for donkey's years. Several of my other components have been upgraded, and I'm looking to possibly acquire a new table. I listen mainly to classical music, and like a sound that is dense, powerful and supple as opposed to rigid/electronic, and with some decent top end extension. I am staying with my SME IV.Vi tonearm. Maximum I want to spend for the table is $3500. Thanks very much.
opus88

Showing 1 response by dougdeacon

I'll second Jtimothya and AudioFeil. A Teres easily outplays an HW19 or an Orbe. I suspect a Galibier Serac would too. These will come closer to being worthy of your tonearm, which you've never heard to full advantage due on your present table.

You're seeking solidity and a low resonant signature. High mass, unsuspended tables excel at these things, and the drive belt used by Teres and Galibier provides better speed stability than the stretchy, elastic belts used by most of their competitors. This gets you closer to the pace accuracy of idler wheel and direct drive.

Those other drive modes can be superior to belt drive, but I don't think you'll find one with the black background, solidity and resonance control of a Teres/Galibier for $3500, unless you're willing to tackle a DIY Lenco rebuild. The Loricraft 501 mentioned by Stefanl would do it, but that's about $25K.