Denon DL103R with Shindo Monbrison

Does anybody know if the 103R's 14 ohm DCR is low enough for the Shindo's trannies or not? I have not tried a cart with resistance that high, more like <5 ohms, but would like to try this cheap "giant-killer" cart.
paulfolbrecht

Showing 1 response by johnnyb53

12-12-07: Paulfolbrecht
I bought a Koestu Black that came DAMAGED. Eventually I will get a replacement. Even though the Black sounded like crap, that magic mid came through, and I think it might be the last cart I ever want.
Art Dudley reviewed the Zu DL-103 in the Dec. '07 Stereophile, not long after he'd reviewed the Koetsu Black. In his Zu DL-103 review, he recommended the K&K Audio transformer ($275 kit or $335 assembled) as an "excellent choice." Compared to the Koetsu Black he says (in part):
...the Zu DL-103 bowed to no other cartridge in its great sense of impact without the slightest sense of strain.

What would you get by spending more money--say, $1600 for the Koetsu Black that I reviewed last July? In my system, the Black has lots of beautiful tone and texture, while sounding less colored, less pungent, than either version of the DL-103. But for all that, the Zu DL-103 in particular was capable of sounding bigger, and had a better, more impactful way with uptempo music. In that respect, the Zu was more stirring--more involving--than all but my Miyabi 47. Really.

In many instances, the Koesu Black ... had a prettier, even more realistic sound--a flute with a clearer timbral signature here, a more realistic guitar tone there--but for sheer fun, the Zu was usually the one I turned to.