Copland 266 vs NAD 541i CDP

I've wanted to upgrade my CD player for a couple months now, and I've recently come across an older (98') Copland 266 CD player for about $1k CDN (about $650 US) I was curious if this would be a move up, or simply buying into an older generation CDP with a better name?

The seller says the Copland is using better K-DAC's and would be a step up. I'm weary though because the Copland is now 6yrs old, and the NAD 541i is only 1 year old. I dont have the ability to listen to the Copland so I'll be taking a risk. At 1k CDN it isn't huge, but by the same token I want to make sure its a setup from the NAD, even though its older technology.

Is this a good move? I'll be hooking up this Copland to my SimAudio Moon i-5080. Some people say the really good stuff is good for a long long time. Such as Califorina Audio Labs stuff...its dated but still holds up. Others contend that newer cd players from NAD and rotel have really risen the bar and have closed the gap by a wide margin in the last couple of years.

I've also found a Classe' CDP-10 for 2k but I'm not eager to part with that kinda dough at the moment.
pbawcutt294c

Showing 1 response by rmihai

For this money I will look for:
MYRIAD Z 110
VINCENT CD - S 1.1
CEC CD 3300 (go to Rob at Applause Audio and listen to it!)
ROTEL RCD - 1072
ROTEL RCD 1070
CREEK CD 43
YBA CD Spécial
ARCAM Alpha 8 SE
CONSONANCE CD 120 or 120 B
CREEK CD 43 Mk2