Class A amplifier alternative?

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for an amp with about 200-300 watt/8ohm/channel for my speakers. People say that Class A is the best to have. However, with this power, Class A amp would be super heavy (for me) The amp at this power is usually 100 lbs or higher. I wonder if there is any other solution here that doesn't compromise the sound quality? My budget is $3000 (used items). 

Just FYI, I once tried class D but the sound is very clinical, thin and sterile in my system. 

Thank you!

Huy

Ag insider logo xs@2xquanghuy147

Class a/ab 

run from,D.

,,look for a used McCormack, sanders, Sunfire 300 (class h) will destroy a class d amp. 
 Odyssey with all upgrades in khartago cases will be close to your budget. 

Check the gon for a good amp.

be weary of fleabay, unless 100% feedback, lots morons on fleabay. 

usaudio,art, Agon, lots used audio dealers, call them, i would drive 2 hours for a good amp. Plus the amp will not endure shipping rattle, dropped by the brainless eejits. 

if I had the coin, I would try the carver Raven 350s'

I, too, needed a 300 Watt into 8 Ohm amp to drive my B&W 702 S2 speakers in a very large room. I was unwilling to buy a 100 pound, heat-radiating monster. I bought a used pair of Bel Canto e.one REF600M amplifiers ($3000) and a used Rogue RP-7 hybrid pre-amp ($3500). I am delighted with the setup. There is nothing thin, cold, or clinical about the sound. It’s warm, precise, and has an incredible soundstage. I auditioned it with a Bel Canto preamp, which I did not like nearly as much. The hybrid Rogue pre-amp with the class D monoblocks is a great combination.

@audioman58 

+1 on the Voyager GaN amp.

My previous class D was a EVS1200 which Ric Schultz builds them based on dual IcePower AS1200 modules. One of the reasons was I wanted a lot more power than I had with PS Audio M700s. I raved about the EVS 1200 for almost 2 years, but wanted to hear whether the GaN hype was real, so I ordered a LSA Voyager 350. Well, not only does it blow away the EVS 1200 in every imagineable way that audiophiles hold near and dear, it is considerably more powerful

Im surprised no one has recommended the LSA Voyager 350 a GaN based amp. There are several excellent thread on AG to check out

hth