Carts option for Rega P5 + RB700 arm

hi guys,

I'm thinking of building a system base on a Rega P5 and RB700 arm. What carts under $500 can you recommend that works well with this combo ?

Thanks for the much help.
nolitan
Try the Goldring Eroica MC. I believe it's height is similar to the Rega carts, so you shouldn't have to fool around with shims under the arm.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Goldring-Eroica-LX-Cartridge?sc=2&category=373
does the dynavector carts like the 10x5, 17 Karat D2 or DV 20xh need spacers or shims of some sort to work with the RB700 tone arm on a P5 ?
Nolitan,

I'll be putting a Dynavector 10X5 onto a P5 in a few days, so I'll let you know. From what I find on the web, it sounds like a 2mm spacer is necessary, but I want to try it "au natural" to start off with.

In advance, if anybody out there knows an alternative to Rega's ridiculous $39 2mm metal spacer for the RB-700, please let us know!
I use a Dynavector DV20XH with my P7. Previously I used (and kept)an Exact cartridge with my P5.
Dear Nolitan: That analog rig you own ( ? ) is a very good entry level on the analog world.

I don't know which are your experiences or what you are looking for on the analog side but reading through your posts I can see that you own a very nice and high quality performance system that will do justice to the analog alternative against what you own on digital source.

If you already have that RB700 I think that you have to add the VTA option ( after market option. ) that is a must to have with the Rega tonearms instead to use those shims that IMHO can degrade the cartridge quality performance.

If the number there is your budget for a cartridge and other than the good alternatives that the people already posted I want to add the MM/MI alternative, here are two samples that could help to your analog sound reproduction satisfaction:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1254595193&/Empire-1000-Ze/X-Nos-Nib--spar

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1253551030&/Sumiko-Andante-P-76-New-Phono-

of course that in the MM/MI alternative there are other very good cartridges but these ones are worth to try it.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Rauliruegas, you said:

If you already have that RB700 I think that you have to add the VTA option ( after market option. ) that is a must to have with the Rega tonearms instead to use those shims that IMHO can degrade the cartridge quality performance.

Can you please explain why adding a shim at the tonearm base will "degrade" the cartridge performance.?
Dear Frank: My experiences are that the headshell/cartridge " connection " must be " intimate " and tight with nothing between each other.

Everytime I try something between cartridge/headshell sound changes and IMHO not for the better but this is only my personal experience where can/could be different from other people ones.

Anyway, that "after-market " VTA for the Rega arms is very usefull and convenient.

Raul.
Dear Raul,

I have not yet bought my analog Rig but i'm considering the P5 due to its price/value/performance ratio.
I'm also considering the VPI Classic. Slightly more pricey but seems to get great reviews as well.
Which company makes the aftermarket vta for the rega ?
For carts i'm leaning towards the DV20xh or the dyna 17 D MK3.
Thanks for the inputs. Any more ?
Dear Nolitan: This is one source: Pete Riggle VTAF but I'm sure that some Rega tonearm owners could you help better than me about.

Any more? ++++++ I think that you, the music and your audio system deserve a " little " something better analog rig that what you are thinking at the moment but the choice of it is your very personal previlege.

Raul.
Dear Raul,

Thanks for the source input.
Hmmm, at this point i dont want to invest too much cash on the TT playback as I dont have much records.
Times are difficult so i would just get a modest TT playback and be happy and contented.
Nolitan,

I see from the other thread that you're leaning towards the P5, and if you go that way I concur with Raul that VTA adjustment is a must. I own the Pete Riggle VTAF for my Rega RB250 arm, and it makes a huge difference both in sonics and adjustability. I can also recommend the Michell underslung counterweight, which helps a great deal with tracking and bass. Email me offline if you have questions.

David
David,

thanks for insight. Where can one purchase the Michell underslung counterweight ?
Are the ones made for the RB250 do the same as the RB700 ?

Thanks & regards
Noli