Cartridge without serial?

Hey everyone,

Curious as to if anyone has ever purchased a cartridge without a serial number? I'm looking to purchase a cartridge, but the seller has mentioned it doesn't have a serial number, which thus no warranty. Mind filling in my feeble thoughts as to this being a scam? Seller has zero bad reviews and hundreds of positive ones, but isn't based in the US. Any help is appreciated!
128x128j-wall

Showing 4 responses by rdk777

@chakster - the cartridge that I got retipped from VAS for ~$500 was well worth more than the ~$6k that I would have to pay for a new cartridge from their trade-in/exchange program.  I can pick up two top end used cartridges with the savings. I also knew that I could no longer go back to the mfr and ask for a trade-in as the cart, in their mind has been tainted - another arbitrary rule, since they don't retip anyways and give you a new cartridge. In some instances, for reasonably priced cartridges, trade-in/exchange program may fare better - but that depends on the buyer. As for me,  I haven't totally fallen in love with a cartridge, where I must have the original. There are many offerings out there and life is short.
There are a few like juki on Ebay and Kron here on Agon that sell these "gray market" cartridges. There are buyers (from the number of reviews) that would rather pay these discounted price than the full retail price (plus tax) that a dealer would otherwise charge. What is your risk level?  If something happens to cartridge during the warranty period, you will not be able to send it to the dealer, but rather to repair places like Soundsmith or VAS Audio at your own cost - the wait can be long. That's the trade-off. If its the two sellers that I mentioned above, I wouldn't be too worried about the authenticity/quality.  
It's not the consumers fault - consumers will buy at lowest price if all things equal.  Sounds like the mfr isn't willing to do much at the top end and wants to blame the consumer.  I think the mfr's should own up to their product and provide support regardless where it was bought.  There are some companies that do that. Recently, I was talking to Tri of Tri-Planar who said that he supports his products regardless of where it was bought. Now that's ethical.