Can we hear from those who essentially repurchased previous system?

Are you someone who had Speaker A or Amp X, sold it on the proverbial merry-go-round yet repurchased that same piece of gear--only to build a system around it?

If ’Yes" then...

What was the piece (type/make/model)?
Did the product that brought you back do something a less expensive/more expensive product did not do or that it did wrong?

128x128jbhiller
I think the original Quad ESL is the classic 'recidivist' piece of gear. People love 'em but hate their limitations, often selling them to get a "better" speaker only to regret getting rid of them, to buy them again. I've hung on to mine since 1973 and still use 'em (not my main speaker any more, and recently restored). There is nothing quite like them. ("Despite their limitations," which is a unity phrase; you always find that qualification in any modern discussion of the speaker). 
I used to have that same Technics turntable,mated with a little Pioneer receiver and off-brand speakers(paralex).I recently bought the receiver again and am planning on finding the turntable but probably different vintage speakers to put in a guest bedroom.Not high rez by any means but it was a sweet little system.
Thank you for the responses!  I was curious about this and love hearing the anecdotes. 

I should've guessed so about the Quads!  That makes total sense. 

I also love the term "recidivist gear"!
I’ve done that with the Harbeth P3ESR. After trying more expensive speakers including Harbeth, I went back to the P3ESR. There is something about this little speaker that just does it for me. I am off the speaker merry-go-round for sure!