Cambridge Azur 851C Upsampling DAC, CD Player & Preamplifier

This is kind of a 'hybrid' topic discussion:
I'm interested in the CD player in the discussion title.  I will be paring it with a Marantz 2270 receiver (fully restored and delivering about 85 wpc) and Hales Revelation One speakers.  I'm looking for a great sounding CD player but also am interested in the Azur's digital hub capabilities.  Aside from CD's, I frequently listen from other sources: iPhone (streaming and on board), streaming TV etc. 

Can you help me better understand the advantages of the Azur's DAC and preamplifier in my scenario?  One reviewer had this to say about the 815C's performance in a digitally sourced system:

“...The Cambridge 851C is a highly capable and versatile hub of a digitally-based audio system. In addition to playing CDs, the 851C has multiple digital inputs, source-switching, and a volume control, obviating the need for a preamp in systems with all-digital sources. It’s also well built, nicely finished, and a pleasure to use...” http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/cambridge-audio-azur-851c-cd-playerdac/
Thanks!

chametzoo

Showing 1 response by mr_m

My Cd player of the last six years has been the Cambridge 851-C. I love this piece. It's one of those components that I don't plan to ever get rid of. The only way I would is if it broke beyond repair. Yes, there is better digital out there now, but for a player that sells for $1650 new, it definitely brings a lot to the table and has incredible flexibility. Not one hiccup in the six years I have owned it. It just seems to be bullet proof.