ca 640p + thorens TD-160 +at150MLX+ Revox A720

Hello everyone
I have a Thorens TD-160 mark II and a cambridge audio 640p . I have done quite a bit of research for the right cartridge and when I listened (on the net only unfortunately) to the AUDIO TECHNICA AT-150 MLX I was really impressed ! Different class this cartridge ...I would like to get it and although I tried to calculate stuff for compliance I am not quite sure I know what I am doing .At the moment the 640p is connected to my sl1200 mark II with a ortofon nightclub s cartridge which is 6.0mv output .With this combination through my Revox preamp is very loud ,I only have to put the volume at 1 or 2 and it produces quite a loud and full signal .What would happen with the thorens and at150?Thorens has a light arm.Thank u
hungrygorilla
The AT150MLX would be a good match with your Technics, especially if you mount it to a 14g Sumiko or LPGear ZuPreme headshell to increase the effective mass to 18.5g. I can't speak for the TD160; they used various tonearms and are from the era of high compliance cartridges and low effective mass. Some TD160 arms have an effective mass as low as 7.5g. At that weight you might be better off with something with more compliance such as a Shure M97xE (could put a Jico stylus on to upgrade it), Grado, or Ortofon 2M series.
No comments on the cartridges. But I used to own the same Thorens. Check Vinyl Engine web site. There is a page that calculates tonearm/cartridge resonance. There are also pages that provide information about tone arm effective mass and cartridge compliance. It's a great tool.

BTW, I recently replaced the stock Thorens arm with a Rega RB 301 arm and Clear Audio Virtuoso Wood cartridge. It works great. However, I used the Vinyl Engine web site tools to help pick the arm and cartrdige combo.

Good luck.
Thank you johnnyb53 and Bifwynne for the suggestions,much appreciated !
Well I guess if I dont like it on the thorens I can put it on the Technics like other people have done with satisfying results.
Johnnyb53 could not have hit it better ! , I have the tp-16 III tonearm with 7.5 gr....So what does this mean?
Guys I want the at-150 on the thorens ! are there any tricks without changing the tonearm? My original plan was to fit the shure m97xe but I dont want it .I want this at150 I am very enthousiastic about it . Have another think my audio comrades ! The thorens td-160 mark 2 can kill any turntable ,this thing is so transient its amazing ! but if mass figures ,,,,,mmm No ,have another meeting think ! Thank you very much for your input !
I forgot to mention that the at150 has a mass of 8.3 and the shure has 6.6 gr mass .I visited vinul engine on Bifwynnes advice and got the figures .Also dont forget that the revox pre has amazing tone controls with bass ,presence and treble .The revox is one of the best pre ever made ,it was designed by willy studer and those who know need no introduction .Huge headroom ! hope the additional info helps....thank you in advance !
You can view the cartridge/arm chart for the AT150MLX here. It looks like with the 8.3g AT150MLX on an arm with 7.5g effective mass, the resonant peak is 13 Hz, which is a little high. If you could increase effective mass by 4 to 5g, it would lower the resonance to 11 Hz which is more in the ideal zone. If you combine this 3g headshell weight with these special 2g headshell screws it'll take your arm's effective mass into the sweet zone and lower the resonant frequency to 11g.
Thank you once again johnnyb53 for your advice ! I studied what you said and now I understand your initial figures ! The figure of 13hz which would be too high is the average mass between the arm and the cartridge . I am happy that with a little weight the thorens should be ok with the at150 ! So I guess before I get the stuff you suggested I could just put a 5pence coin which is exactly 5gr place it on the headshell and it would meet reasonance of 11Hz ,right ? Thank you for your help .

02-21-11: Hungrygorilla
...I am happy that with a little weight the thorens should be ok with the at150 ! So I guess before I get the stuff you suggested I could just put a 5-pence coin which is exactly 5gr place it on the headshell and it would meet reasonance of 11Hz, right ?
Yeah, that should pretty much work the same. You could use some Blu-Tack to secure the 5-pence to the headshell. You will want to center the coin as well as you can. If it's too off-center I'd think that the uneven pressure could strain the bearings a bit or affect the azimuth alignment.
Yes ,thank you johnnyb53,I will place it in the carefully in the middle . The cartridge should be here in a couple of weeks , the only thing that worries me is fitting the cartridge myself ....I can balance the tonearm and adjust the weights well but this is gonna be a first to do the protractor alignment .Does the AT150 come with protractor ? I checked online and it does seem too difficult to do but being a gorilla you know ...do you think I should take it to be done professionally ? Thank you all !
Yes ,thank you johnnyb53,I will try to place it right in the middle . The cartridge should be here in a couple of weeks , the only thing that worries me is fitting the cartridge myself ....I can balance the tonearm and adjust the weights well but this is gonna be a first to do the protractor alignment .Does the AT150 come with protractor ? I checked online and it does seem too difficult to do but being a gorilla you know ...do you think I should take it to be done professionally ? Thank you all !