Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
My effusive congratulations above were an unsuccessful attempt (so far) at goading Jean into spilling the beans regarding the new innovations he incorporated into A. Salvatore’s “Super Canuck” Lenco :)

Ulterior motives aside, I’ve had some time to get my thoughts together to say a few words about what Jean’s unflagging boosterism of the Lenco has meant to some of us in the stereo hobby. It just so happens that I have been doing a little research of late about SS phono pre’s – having noted that there is a new crop of expensive “state of the art” preamps being flogged on the various discussion groups. In doing that search, I visited a number of audio websites that I hadn’t been to for several years. It seems like folks everywhere are extolling the virtues of $10K+ turntables, $5K cartridges, $5K arms and the like! These are not even considered to be the best available – just “very good”. That’s an embarrassing amount of money to spend on a “hobby”. Who has that kind of cash these days, anyhow?

So, in steps Jean Nantais – the fellow who popularized his own sonic RE-discovery that has allowed some regular folks in these days to actually own at least one hi-fi component that might very well be the best – or a least counted among the best, i.e., the BIG BODY LENCO. He pointed it out to us and even told us how to re-build it and pretty much asked for nothing in return. And yet, what I have always seen as good natured magnanimity has, over the years, been derided by some naysayers as opinionated self-promotion.

Sometimes I wonder why guys do it – put their audio discoveries on the internet for all and sundry freely partake of – only to have envious weasels who have never contributed anything take pot shots at them. Anyhow, hats off to Jean for not simply taking his toys and going home.

You can look at my system and see that a Lenco rebuild was right down my alley and still is a “no brainer” for me. Put in a few bucks for raw materials and few hours of work and WHAMMO! - an audio component that can compete at the leading edge. The Lenco was by far the easiest of my major DIY projects - if you cant rebuild a Lenco, you shouldn’t be trusted around a toaster and a butter knife :) (Speaking of my system, hopefully I will be making some online updates soon. Admittedly, I have been in that phase where, after getting a very good CD player, I haven’t been spinning too many records in the last couple of years. Probably my analog rig has gotten a little too technical, so I plan to do some simplification.)

Finally, there are two amazing things to consider about the Lenco discovery – one that the performance of a refurbished 40 year old Lenco on a big slab of wood can be even be compared a modern state-of-the-art TT in any regard - and two, that is still possible to buy a stock Lenco for a few hundred bucks.

I am glad that I got in early.

Mike
Many had warned me that Arthur Salvatore was a VERY difficult and picky reviewer (I could see this myself from perusing his website), but he stepped up to the plate, and I’m sure any Lenco fans out there - worth their salt - will join me in thanking Arthur profusely for taking the chance on the New Kid on the Block, the Lenco, instead of always the established (and by extension safe) Garrards, EMTs, Thorenses, and for taking a great amount of time and effort in order to make his analysis bullet-proof – and necessarily lengthy (like my own posts) ;-) - so that nay-sayers will only expose their lack of understanding, intelligence and integrity.
So am i interpreting this to mean that if you don't agree or believe the salvatore review that you must lack "understanding, intelligence and integrity?"

As to ANY suggestion that I may have somehow “bought off” Salvatore, this is SO laughable as to make that person utterly ridiculous (tantamount to publicly pie-ing your own face, and then kicking your own ass :-)), as anyone at all who knows me knows all too well.
Is someone making this "suggestion" that nantais"bought off" salvatore on the net?

David, stop trying to stir up trouble and give Jean his credit where credit is due! I noticed that you have also gone phishing on Vinyl Asylum for dirt that does not exist. I purchased Jean's original 100lb Reference table (purpleheart top), as you know, and Jean set it up before his initial trip down to Arthur's place. My previous table was a Clearaudio Maximum Solution AMG wood which I enjoyed thoroughly ... until I heard Jean's table. Hearing is believing and I will leave it at that. It is absolutely ludicrous that Jean would pay off Arthur for a review ... read the events leading up to the review on Salvatore's website. Hats off to Jean for a well deserved review ...

Also, I do not need Salvatore’s approval before deciding on an equipmet purchase! I bought this table before the review had taken place.
David, stop trying to stir up trouble and give Jean his credit where credit is due! I noticed that you have also gone phishing on Vinyl Asylum for dirt that does not exist. I purchased Jean's original 100lb Reference table (purpleheart top), as you know, and Jean set it up before his initial trip down to Arthur's place. My previous table was a Clearaudio Maximum Solution AMG wood which I enjoyed thoroughly ... until I heard Jean's table. Hearing is believing and I will leave it at that. It is absolutely ludicrous that Jean would pay off Arthur for a review ... read the events leading up to the review on Salvatore's website. Hats off to Jean for a well deserved review ...
HMM, Are we now going to play "shoot the messenger" rather than looking at the message? How do you know what "dirt exists or doesnt exist for that matter?