Brand New Vinyl Static and Pops

Nothing major, but annoying.

Could it be because I was spinning old dirty vinyl which made the platter dirty/dusty?

I'm about to buy the humminguru. Does anything go well with it?

128x128jjbeason14

jjbeason14

Could it be because I was spinning old dirty vinyl which made the platter dirty/dusty?

Yes. And has @flemke noted, a new LP isn't necessarily clean.

jj, if I may be familiar, this is your third thread on the subject. May I suggest you get your Humminguru and then proceed from there? I do mean this in the friendliest way, as you have had the advice of all of us several times over. There's little point in flogging a dead record cleaner.

Small Micron Dimension Particles are easily responsible for creating the interferences referred to.

All Ambient Air in a Industrial Environment will have many types of Particulate of this dimension suspended in the air and able to contaminate a surface and embed in the LP Groove.

An area that has a heavy burden of Traffic or a Local Railway, where there is Production Facilities will also have to contend with excesses of Metal Particulate suspended in the Air.      

Release Agents used on the LP during production are also most likely to have a Small Micron Dimension Particle suspended in the solution, this could also be a Metal Particle in a excessive quantity, depending on the siting of the production facility used.

LP's are 'not' made in a Laboratory Environment where Filtering of Contaminants is a vital control measure. 

The location of a Production Facility and the Quality Control measures followed during the production are most likely a cause of various levels on contaminant collecting prior to packaging and sealing.   

I wish I were a magical King Midas with the ability to summon every musician I have a hankering to hear to my listening room. The closest I seem to be able to get to this, though, is my stereo. I guess it'll just have to do.