bi-amping with Mc352 and Mc2102

Does anyone have any thoughts about bi-amping my speakers, B&W N802, with a Mac 352, solid state, 350 watt outpupt on the bottom end and a Mac 2102, tube 100 output, for the mid and upper end? I haven't read much about using both solid state and tube amps together. What are the implications of using 2 amps with different power outputs? I suspect that may be the more troublesome question. I have no problem with the sound I am getting now, but I feel some more power would bring out even more dynamics of the setup.
larryrosen

Showing 1 response by wbs

Hi Larry
I am biamping a pair of N801s with MC1000s and an MC2000. I love the way it sounds, the tube amp smooths out the highs and has a sweeter midrange than the solid state amps. By itself, the MC2000 just didn't have enough balls for the 801s. Although McIntosh told me over the phone that the amps would match output-wise, this was not the case and I have to pad down the input to the MC1000s a bit to tame over-heavy bass. I had a pair of in-line pads made for the job and they work well but am currently exploring equalizing the bass response in my living room, and am therefore able to control the bass level through my equalizer, eliminating the need for the pads.
All in all, I think the setup you suggest could sound great but you will in all probability need to match the amp levels somehow.
Bill