Best $500 System?

I have a good friend who is going through a lot of stress including financial and health and misses her music. Any thoughts on a "system" that would play CD's only all inclusive including speakers and amps new or used that might give her decent quality music in her home? she is sensitive to clean highs and does not need very loud or deep bass.
128x128gammajo
Kef q100 bookshelf speakers for $250
Yamaha R-S202 for $120
Sony DVP-SR510H For $45
—Total $415 and you get Bluetooth, radio, and DVD playback functionality as well

Or...

trade out the Yahama for the Nuforce DDA-120 ($250 on Amazon) and you’re $45 over budget but have great sound for the money. You can probably get a used CD player off craigslist for almost nothing to get back closer to the $500 budget if necessary.
My last post may have seemed down on NuForce-please don’t take it that way, its  a great amp,(at a great price)- with a family resemblance, sound wise, to the Nuprime IDA 8 (IMO).
Just wondering about the company commitment to audio, especially two channel.
FYI-I picked up the UB-5s from Music Direct at the end of 2016 for $399 pair, but this Christmas pricing was an even better deal. 
 I found the NuForce to be very crisp and open sounding with decent bass. The B-6s are sort of like Pioneers with improved extension at both ends of the spectrum and smoother highs. I enjoyed both combinations (NuForce/Pioneer & NuForce/ELAC). I’m not sure what is going on with NuForce as a company. I get the impression, from their odd website, that they aren’t actively involved in the audio side (other than earphones)- at least I can’t get any other products to pop up. You’ve probably read that Jason Lim, a principle at NuForce, split off to form Nuprime which is producing a number of well interviewed audio products, ( like the IDA 8 & IDA 16 integrated amps). I wonder if the lower prices on NuForce DDA-120 indicates they are discontinued. If true, the good news is you get this quality of sound & industrial design for $249, the bad news may be that product support may be lacking at some point. I would buy from Audio Advisor, or Amazon that will be responsive if your aren’t happy. Not sure how soon you are looking to buy the ELACs, but Music Direct runs some nice sales, don’t remember what they had the B-6s for, but the Unifi UB-5s were $349, around Christmas.
@returntomusic What do you think of the Nuforce DDA120 with the ELAC B6?
I currently have the Pioneer BS22LR in my bedroom system and i’m driving them with a cheap Dayton amp.
The DDA120 has dropped down to 250$ on amazon, i’m gonna use this opportunity to buy them drive for the Pioneer, but i also intent to change the Pioneers to the ELAC B6 eventually.
I have a Denon and a Harmon Kardon AV receiver plus  a pair of mint JBL 2600 speakers, I will even pay the shipping. Lets hook this Lady up!  Shoot me a pm if interested
If Volume & Sound are not on her priority list, and if looks actually matter to her, then I would consider this:

Denon DMBSK -- AM/FM Stereo Receiver; Compact Disc Player; Bluetooth Capability (For Her Tablet, Smart Phone & Her PC/MAC); All In One Box; 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers Included (Nothing Extra To Buy; Keeps It Simple Too; & Offers Expandability Later On If She Changes Her Mind) -- $480.00 Plus Shipping

Link:  https://www.amazon.com/Denon-System-Bluetooth-Player-DM41SBK/dp/B072635J3H/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&...

Good Luck and Happy Listening...

--Charles--

I sent my friend thsi thread and she pulled the trigger and is very happy, thanks for the help - here is what she said.

Thanks Joe! I read all the comments and ended up finding a great buy on self-powered speakers by Kliptsch. I used them in the workshop yesterday and the worked great. And the sound fabulous in the house! Please tell everyone thanks so much for the excellent education and guidance. I looked for the Yamaha mct 040 but no one had one within 250 miles.

The speakers were on clearance with HHG and came with a Kliptsch phonograph. It needs a new needle (maybe needle assembly). Do you want it? We don’t have vinyl any more.

A Play Station 1 is a must as your CD player.  Can find one for $20.00.
This gives you $480.00 for an amp, speakers and cables.  I would look for an NAD C320BEE Integrated for around $200.00 used and a set of Q Acoustics 3020 speakers for around $175.00 used.  This still leaves you $105.00 for decent cables.  This would make a great sounding $500.00 system.  Trust me.
Sorry about the duplicate entry above.
To get a better idea of how good the NuForce DDA-120 is, check out the rave Sound Stage review when it first came out in 2015, at a list price of $699!  (The Absolute Sound recommended it then too at $699, and continues to do so in 2017)
It seems to me that it was NADs de facto lowering of the list price on the D-3020 from $499 to the widely available street price of $399, that started a big price correction in this category (PS Sprout, etc)
NuForce  cut the list for the DDA -120 from $699 to $499. 
The sale at $299 is just crazy good, great time to be a budget audiophile!
Take a look at the Yamaha MCR - 040 mini system.

It is surprisingly good to start with - but with some simple tweaks it can be made to sound much better...
- install some reasonable speaker cables - small gauge
- replace the power cord

That's it!

I tried several boom boxes for outdoors music, but they all sounded crappy. I then looked at the various "music boxes" like Sonos but was underwhelmed.

Then I found the Yamaha and started with the tweaks above.

The speakers are surprisingly good for this type of unit, but the electronics are very good.

CD's, USB, iPod AND FM Radio

As long as you don't want to play it at really high volumes it is a good sounding unit with nice imaging.

And well within the budget - even with the tweaks

You can always upgrade the speakers later, but I've tried a couple of pairs I had lying around and the ones that came with the unit outperformed them both.

Something to consider :-)
+1 on the route proposed by returntomusic. A $299 amp/dac is a good start. I have listened owned the Pioneer speakers and they make for a great start within the context of a $500 system. Use any cd/dvd player as transport. Speakers and trnsport can always be upgraded as funds and desire dictates. 
Bet those Reference 20s sound good!
Too bad there isn't a digital audio out of your CD player. Often a digital coax output is nestled among the component connections. The nice thing about the NuForce/Pioneer/DVD/CD system is that it's all new, with current technology and warranties. 
If you do need to go the DVD player route, there are a wide variety of prices & capabilities. At the upper end,($45-80), the DVD players have higher video resolution and streaming capability (if she wants to take advantage of the video capabilities),and still be below $500 total.
FYI (for down the road)-Last Christmas season, authorized dealers were running the compact Pioneer SW-8 MK2 subwoofer for $99 on Amazon. It's  a great match with the Pioneer bookshelf system. From your first post, it doesn't sound like she is focused on bass performance, but when you add the sub, tuned to a barely perceptible level, the combo becomes ridiculously good from top to bottom. In addition to a line level subwoofer out, the NuForce has an analog input so you can run a turntable at a later date , (with an outboard phono preamp). You can also use your CD connected to the analog inputs, without running it through the NuForce's DAC if you are really trying to save money.
Parts Express has a 24" steel stand for $55 pair that work well with the Pioneers.
Bet those Reference 20s sound good!
Too bad there isn't a digital audio out of your CD player. Often a digital coax output is nestled among the component connections. The nice thing about the NuForce/Pioneer/DVD/CD system is that it's all new, with current technology and warranties. 
If you do need to go the DVD player route, there are a wide variety of prices & capabilities. At the upper end,($45-80), the DVD players have higher video resolution and streaming capability (if she wants to take advantage of the video capabilities),and still be below $500 total.
FYI (for down the road)-Last Christmas season, authorized dealers were running the compact Pioneer SW-8 MK2 subwoofer for $99 on Amazon. It's  a great match with the Pioneer bookshelf system. From your first post, it doesn't sound like she is focused on bass performance, but when you add the sub, tuned to a barely perceptible level, the combo becomes ridiculously good from top to bottom. In addition to a line level subwoofer out, the NuForce has an analog input so you can run a turntable at a later date , (with an outboard phono preamp). You can also use your CD connected to the analog inputs, without running it through the NuForce's DAC if you are really trying to save money.
Parts Express has a 24" steel stand for $55 pair that work well with the Pioneers.
The DVD player I have has HDMI and then component out. I like Nuforce, have their reference 20 mono amps myself in the big rig
Sorry to hear that your friend is going through a rough time. Music is certainly good medicine. Is she interested in a casual, soothing background music experience, or sitting in the sweet spot in a dark room and doing active listening?
I'd go with a NuForce DDA-120, an integrated amp with a nice DAC. It is an Absolute Sound Editors Choice at $499. Currently on sale at Audio Advisor for $299. Available in black or white. It comes equipped with a Bluetooth dongle. 
If your friend has a DVD or CD player with a digital coax out, buy a cable & hook it into the NuForce 's digital input.You avoid the cheap internal DAC in the player and now have a CD transport connected to a very capable DAC & great amp. If she doesn't have a player or it doesn't have a digital out, (optical or coax - the NuForce handles both), then  buy a DVD player with a digital coax or optical out. Best Buy, Target, and other discounters have a variety for $35-50. I'd stick with a major brand, like Sony, Samsung, Phillips, or LG. The DVD players work, but are usually slower to cue up than a CD player. On the speaker front I'd go with Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs. Best Buy usually has them at list $129 pair, but periodically takes them down to $100.  I'd try Audio Video Logic on line, they have them on special at $99 a pair. Not sure if they would ship them for free, but they are excellent retailers/enthusiasts -so talk to them. Usually Best Buy will match a bonafide authorized retailers online price, but if it is a wash give the specialty store your business and start a relationship. I've owned the Pioneers (as well as the other Andrew Jones darlings the ELAC- B5, B6 & UB 5) I think the NuForce amp and Pioneer speakers would have great synergy. Should be a nice system for CDs and Bluetooth streaming.
I suggest the audioengine HD3. They are amplified, veneered, and small. Perfect for a woman not concerned about bass. The JBL 305s sound great for the money, but I don't think many women would accept their looks. The Vanatoo Transparent one is my other suggestion. Superior sounding to the HD3, but $100 more in cost.
There are a pair of Epos 3s that came up today. Can be had for $180 including shipping. Pair them with a used integrated. Otherwise, a Pioneer A20 can be had new for $270.

The amplified speaker route is also viable. Get a pair that has the volume and amp in one of the speakers which drives both speakers.
Some have a built in DAC so that disc player can be run in via digital out. 
Post removed 
I like the powered monitors and CD with variable output. KISS it. Active Quad 11l/12l (best as nearfield, but great all-round), Tannoy Revolution, etc.

I'm impressed with the JBL 4208 (and 4206) as an inexpensive pair of used speakers (not active) if you buy an amp. For a sweet top end, try some older Mission speakers. Heck, $100-200 can buy a lot of speaker for the money. I have a high end system, but finding the best "bang for the buck" is always a blast.
you can do better than a boom box

best bargain will be to look around a college campus as students leave for the summer

2nd best is to find a used stereo dealer in your town

for new, I'd look for a Marantz receiver (or Yamaha) and some small speakers along the lines of the old LS3/5a - Epos and many others make them - you will sacrifice bass to get a good smooth mid-range

Denon also makes good CD players

Next level up is brands like Oppo, Cambridge, etc.
I have this as my desktop system:

source: iPhone or MacPro or PC with an Audioquest Black (new version) microDAC 
https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/Hands-OnReview:AudioQuestDragonFlyBlack1.5/Red.html

into active speakers KANTO YU-6 or YU-5
note; these have a killer Bluetooth operations option if she has placement or access issues.

https://www.wifihifistore.com/news/2017/2/4/kanto-yu6-and-yu4-powered-speakers

These KANTO active speakers are real audio Goliath slayers with a further option of a direct subwoofer output and they also have a phono preamp built-in .
https://www.wifihifistore.com

The older model YU-5s are cheaper if the TT features are a no-go and they have an auxiliary

http://www.kantoliving.com/product/yu5/

https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/05/review-kanto-yu5-powered-bookshelf-speakers-bluetooth/

Google the stellar reviews and YouTube reviews.
E.g https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pkp0Gha66U

Now with the ONKYO HF hi-Rez audio player app (a cheap download ) she can play digital,streaming on TIDAL or downloaded digital at 24 bit/ 96khz FLAC hi-Rez quality. The CD quality 16bit/44.1khz rips also sound fabulous 

FWIW...
Yes I have an Oppo 105 and understand. I found an old Blue Ray Player that I am not using (replaced it with the Oppo) hooked it up to my computer speakers which have a volume control, control both left right - and it plays fine except that the speakers are of poor quality - now just need to find some good self powered speakers
gammajo,

I would caution you that most DVD players do not have remote controllable variable volume. If you use a DVD player, or cd player, that do not have remote controllable variable volume, you will have to set the volume using the gain control knob on each of the individual active speakers. The beauty of the Oppos is that they do have remote controllable variable volume. 

Good luck in whatever your friend chooses.........
Thank you all for you good ideas - I know that the budget is very low, but feel we can do better than a boom box. I checked out the Classik and it looks like a good option if I can find used and a very generous offer on the speakers, polk432 - thank you that touch my heart. 
Reubent, I checked out the JBL's and you also gave me the thought that she may already have a DVD player that we could come off of - will check this out.
A Linn Classik with a pair of SB 1 Klipsch speakers. You can always add an amp or a couple of subs later. AM, FM. CD. and you can run an I pod throught it, and xm radio. All future add ons. Make sure to get one with a remote so you can use the alarm, the clock, and the sleep timer since they can't be set manually. If you or she gets the Classik, (I just sold mine last week) I'll donate a pair of mint Klipsch SB 1 speakers if you pay the shipping. They sound really good with the Linn 92dB.
$500 is a pretty low budget for a system. If I needed a system at that budget, and didn't need deep bass, I would probably buy a pair of new JBL LSR305 powered monitors and I'd spend the remainder on the best used Oppo DVD player I could find within the budget. The Oppo DVD players have remote controlled variable volume, so you would have all of the components required for a complete remote controlled CD playback system. You will need to budget a small amount of money for interconnect cables. The JBLs do not have RCA connections, so you'll need an adapter or a RCA to XLR or TSR cables.