Ayre C5xe or APL 3910 ?

I not too long ago heard the Ayre C5xe and was totally blown away on all formats at the amount of resolution, detail retrieval and it's dynamic yet smooth sound. I must admit I'm ready to pull the trigger on it, but before I do just wanted to know if there is anything better in it's price class of $6K or less. So far what comes to mind is the APL 3910 at $5K but there is no way I can possibly audition one of these so I would like some insight from those of you who have heard both players. Please, lend me your golden ears!
orjazzm

Showing 3 responses by ozzy

Khrys,

It sounds like the Ayre would be a fine machine , based on reviews and the comments on the internet.

I admit, I have not heard the Ayre.
But...Have you heard the APL ?

APL does not consider it a mod. Most of the Denon components, boards etc are removed. Basically, what is left is the case and the transport.
Then APL installs their designed circuitry.
It is a design that it is not made to a pre determined selling price point. It is without those limitations and without all the middlemen $$$ mark ups .

Running the APL direct to my AMP without a Preamp was a huge musical impact. I was also able to sell my Preamp and all the associated cabling.

APL is always coming out with upgrades that can be reinstalled on the same machine for small $$$ Always searching for the best sound.
I have had mine upgraded 3 times to APL latest design which includes the use of 8 AKM DACs

Your comparison with a Auto should have been a comparison to a hand made expert building it piece by piece for optimun performance.

Try to give it a listen.
I mentioned the 3 upgrades only to show the advantage of buying a APL unit.
I remember buying Sonic Frontiers Equipment only for them to come out with a Mark 2 version soon after. Then it was a Dac 2 Mark 2 and so on.
I am sure eventually the Ayre will have a newer version such as a A or a Mark 2. Most of these types of improvements would involve purchasing the newer improved version and selling your older Equipment version.

I can understand your concern on Mods. Replacing parts here and there is iffy and risky voiding warranties and results may be worse.

But, call it a Mod or a redesign , the APL is in a different league .
I have not heard the Ayre. My comment about the APL being in another league was in reference to modded or redesigned players.The APL is in another league compared to that type equipment.