ARC REF 150SE vs REF 160S

I currently have a Ref 6SE and Ref 150 driving a pair of Vandersteen 5a Carbons.  Over time I have gradually worked my way up from Vandy 2s and an ARC VT100.  Keeping with that theme, I am ready for another move up.  I am torn between just upgrading the Ref150 (when ARC is able) or blowing the bank on a Ref 160S.  Both are great amps, but I am interested in opinions on the comparison.  The 160S meters don’t move me and I enjoy biasing my own power tubes.  Will the 160S change my life?
jldani2

Showing 2 responses by dhite71

@jldani2 

Curous if you are still happy with your 160S or have moved up to the 160M MkIIs

I have had the 75SE for a few years and have grown quite attached.  I was able to audition a 150SE for a couple weeks and while the bass was a bit cleaner and punchier, it didn't blow me away.  I also added a Shunyata Hydra Triton that also cleaned up the bass and made it punchier so didn't leave me missing the 150SE.  This make me think I will just be disappointed if I jump to a big money upgrade for the new series.  I don't think I could ever own a 150 or 150SE due to the biasing process.  I love the simplicity of the 75SE and being able to adjust as often as I want to keep them in the sweet spot and make sure I don't have a tube that can no longer stay in bias.  For this reason, I have considered the GS150.  I read somewhere that it is essentially the 150SE with a different design.  Anyone audition one of those or know anyone with one?

Great....it surely seems like a fabulous amp.  Have any other differences stood out since your last post about the improved soundstaging?  Sometimes it takes a while for our brain and ears to fully appreciate a change.  

Why would anyone hate you??  I love my Wilson Sophia 1....had them for about 5 years.  I have been curious about Vandersteen, maybe I will try one day.  I picked up a pair of Alexia 1 a few weeks ago but my room didn't allow for them to be in the best position so have them posted for sale.  I almost got the DAW instead so now wonder if that would have been a better match for my room.  

The tube replacement is a bummer.  Keep an eye on your options and grab an extra set unless you buy from ARC and they will surely be ready to ship a set when you need them.  Seems like you have built a great system that won't need major updates for many years....enjoy!