Aragon 4004mkII OR Adcom GFA 555 II

Hi,
I have Thiel 3.5 speakers and an Adcom GFA 555 II. Will the Aragon 4004mkII provide a performance upgrade? Should I be looking for something else for around $500-$700 used.
Any advice is much appreciated.
thanks
Bill
bill10907

Showing 1 response by csmgolf

I have owned the GFA 555II and the 2004mkII. I think the Aragon is the superior amp across the board. However, it does not necessarily mean it will be a good match with your speakers. I have not heard the Theil speakers, but from what I understand, they can sound forward. This is also the case with the Aragon amp. I think the 8000 series amps are much better in the mids and highs and may well be a better match. The 8002 is a seriously underrated 125 wpc and maintains the improvements of the 8008. I have owned both series of amps and prefer the 8000 series for the reason I mention. The 8002 does not come up for sale that often, but can be had for about $550 to $600. Again, make sure that what some consider a strength of the amp does not become a liability because of bad synergy. Hope this helps. BTW, I've never found any Aragon amp to be dull or uninvolving. I think they are one of the true bargains in audio.