Anyone using a Mytek Brooklyn or Manhattan (I or II) DAC as a preamplifier?

Anyone have any experience with the Mytek DAC's preamp direct to a power amplifier? Any good? Great? 

I'm considering going with a Mytek Brooklyn direct to either a McIntosh MC275, Pass Labs XA60.8m or X250.8, or Parasound JC-1. I'd need to stick with this setup for a year until sufficient funds are available for a preamp, so want to make sure it's enjoyable and a marked step-up from my current Rega Brio + Parasound zDac combination.

Thanks!Ken
keoliphant

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

My preamp stopped working today, and it will be a while before it gets repaired.  I tried using my Mytek Manhatten I as a Pre amp.  I don’t know how to use the volume control.  It seems to be at max volume right now and I can only listen for a few seconds at a time for fear of blowing my speakers.  The manual isn’t very helpful.
I figured it out.  At the first adjusting the volume on the Mytek didn’t have any effect but after turning the DAC off and rebooting it worked

I was also confused by the digital vs. analog volume setting.  I’ve had the DAC for a couple of years but this is the first time that I’ve used it as a preamp.  Do you use it as a preamp?