Anybody use a single ended component with one that is balanced?

I currently have a single ended pass xa25 amp which is excellent but am looking to upgrade to an arc balanced pre. I was told arc works best balanced but I will have to use the rcas.

Anybody been in a situation like this? Will I really be compromising the sound of the arc using it in single ended mode? I know there are people who prefer single ended.

roxy1927

In summary. Don’t worry about it. Go for the best components you can, and if you end up with a system in which all components support balances, then , if you have the money you can swap interconnects to balanced and see if you can hear a difference… maybe, maybe not,

Yes, I'm running a SE pre-amp (Manley Neo Classic 300b) with a fully balanced XLR amp (EC AW250R) and it sounds amazing.  I had AudioArt cables build me a pair of XLR/RCA interconnects.  Also, prior to purchasing I sent emails to both Manley and EC to ask if I should expect any issues.  Got the green light from both...made the investment...and couldn't be happier with the outcome.  Glad to share more info if interested...

I guess I wasn't clear....if you have differentially balanced components keep the XLR connection....gives greater dynamics, cleaner, clearer, immunity to cable sonic variability, etc....not only is it louder.   If you're happy with your single ended sound continue....all will be fine.

In a way, a very pertinent question for me as I’m dealing with it now. Sort of in that I’m just looking for the right connection from my Rowland Model 12 monoblocks to my Townsend Allegri Preamp(which has both XLR and RCA). .

In addition to the Townshend Allegri I also just ordered a Townsend Audio full loom and in discussions with Max Townshend about IC connectors, he told me that RCA’s are better than XLR’s. Max went on to explain single ended connection is more pure and true to the signal as a balanced connections goes through extra circuitry and should be avoided if possible, except for long runs of cable.

I'm also changing the IC's from between my Classe processor and Allegri(for pass through) from balanced to RCA's. 

As far as noise, I asked about that. Townshend’s interconnects at least use shielding so others likely do as well.