Any Vandersteen 7 Owners in SFO Bay Area ?

Hi,

There is no dealer in San Francisco Bay Area who carries Vandersteen 7.  I want to listen to them before i consider and upgrade and wondering if there is anyone in my area who can help me.  I own 5A Carbons and thinking of upgrading. 
veerapaneni

Showing 14 responses by tomic601

Thanks for thanks for sourcing info - my plan is to make Richard a set and send them to him !!!!! 

Randyhat - congrats Zebrawood is worth the wait - i had a highly figured Rosewood on my 5a and just loved it.

......since I plan to eventually upgrade to RV amps which come with speaker cables I am using a pretty unconventional set of LFD wire that I got from a friend. Many Vandersteen dealers use Audioquest ( the rest of my system is AQ and my Vandersteen filters pigtails are as well).

i will say that Bruce in San Diego gets fantastic sound using Nordost product.

where are you located ? i find building a dealer relationship important - typically i borrow wire before buying..

first things first - Ken thanks for posting the parts you used to build up a set of power cords for the subs !!! where did you source the bits from ??? glad you have it sounding good - the EQ does wonders...

i would start as you have it configured
my 7 sub amps are right into wall on a dedicated line, amp and pre each on another dedicated line and finally all the wall wart powered suff on a conditioner.
my dac and server o
are also on a dedicated line with a linear psu for the server

how are you liking them ??????

I listened my way thru breakin.. they just get better - plan for many late nites of joy !!!!!

Sorry the VTL are 180 wpc 
there were also two towers of Shunyata power conditioners.

i also listened to Diana Krall live in Paris - a disc I am hyper familiar with - I would say my digital front end system can keep up on many variables... I would call it a tie... some things better, some worse...

Congrats on getting your 7's !!!! That color is so cool !!!!

i was in Bruce's place in San Diego recently and heard his 7' in Red - they were sublime with Ref Recordings Symphonic Dances disc.

the chain: Delos , Bardo w tube power supply, Brinkmann arm , VTL pre and mono amps  180 SPC and Nordost cables.... sublime

Randy is great and of course really knows how to get most out of an ARC and Vandersteen pairing

Bentley Neptune ! cool
please send me a picture when you get them !
Jim

ps check out new 2L recording of the Norweigan Hymnal... fantastic on the 7.. totally seemless driver integration from low low organ notes to mass choral voices.....
Grammy nominated

i would suggest you call Richard. I have 7 mk 2 in Seattle. he helped me a great deal in auditioning, etc.
Having said that both Randy and Bruce get a lot out of the 7's - they have great rooms, skills and ancillary equipment.
have fun the 7 -and frankly the speaker you have are amazing.
i am blessed to have them

my thoughts..
The 7 is no longer available only the improved MK2
I had a shot at last pair of 7 and passed as I wanted Richards best even if the differences are relatively small. Richard is a fanatical and frugal Engineer and mk2 means something. Not only is the acoustic lense chaged with better tweeter/ mid alignment but the subwoofer driver has been tweaked. I was able to hear 7's in 4 distinct environments around the country - including a generous offer to hear Richards personal setup - this before mk2 existed. I have heard them with as few as 200 wpc. without knowing your room tastes, etc..I would not feel comfotable saying what the minimum amp would be - certainly whatever you are using for the 5a Carbons would be up to 7's...I ran my 5a with a Mac240 for a while :-)
my tastes do not run to loud - as I write this I have Alison Krauss on at 17 on the ref5 se volume Ayre amp loafing..music is about 70 db ( using Audiotools rta)
the new vs used track has a couple of factors
new qualifies for future upgrade path. You get to pick your paint color also.
hopefully this helps
Jim

As for color -yes automotive colors.thousands of choices. I went with Audi phantom black pearl....I can send you photos if you like. just pm me your email. You can go mild to wild.
George who works for Randy at Optimal took some incredible photos of the 7' which I believe the use on the Vandersteen website and for reviews. 

the ref250se are amazing with 7
I borrowed a Ref75se when my Ayre was getting the Twenty upgrade and the sound was sublime....

to clarify my comments new build 7 not available.

sounds like Randy at Optimal is going to have the most similar system for you to listen to. 

i got your PM and i have emailed you some photos..the finish is outstanding quality....better paint than our GL 550 for sure ! ha