Analyzing DACs

As I am new to the hifi hobby, reading various product reviews and noting the details of the test environment have made me very confused.  I understand Stereophile is the hifi bible. In the publication’s DAC published tests the reviewers almost always tested the DAC connected directly to the amplifier. I think I understand why—nothing in the chain influencing the DAC sound. Is that the correct assumption? If that’s the case why incorporate a preamp if the DAC has a preamp section that is a common feature even on high end DACs? I’m in the market for a new DAC. I’m trying to avoid unnecessary components if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.  

tee_dee

@tee_dee 

I just listened to white flag by Dido. Lovely voice I added it to my playlist. It seems like the volume on her mic was up a bit maybe? Not piercing though. The parts  I didn’t really like as much are when the back up singers join in or maybe it’s an effect. Her voice is much better when it’s just her. Perhaps your electronics and or speakers are on the bright side. The room would also play a big factor if not treated. Happy listening 

Ron 

In my opinion, the DAC is the second most important component after the speakers - it is creating the signal you listen too.

Quality does in improve with price, but I don't know what price it stops being really noticeable.

Good DACs cost alot of money, and good preamps cost more than amp much of the time. I find volume control on the DAC chip to be much inferior to a preamp.

As for Amir, and ASR. As a person with "Scientist" in their job title, all I will say is that he is not doing science. Measurements are important because they can let you know if there is a design flaw, but measurements will not tell you what it sounds like.

@teedee

One might assume that the simplest audio chain is sonically best, but my online empirical research shows a mixed bag - sometimes the sonics sound better with a preamplifier in the chain. Some surmise the preamp may somehow be conditioning the signal to be more favorable (ohms?) to the amp.

The HoloAudio May DAC would be my choice based on online reviews. Perhaps you can stretch to the Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC at $6.6k - reports that it’s sonics are way above it’s price point - it appears to be a very rare bargain.  

kennyc

... my online empirical research shows a mixed bag ...

Online empirical research? That's oxymoronic. "Researching" online is the exact opposite of empirical research.

Online empirical research? That’s oxymoronic. "Researching" online is the exact opposite of empirical research.

finally, a serious post in this train wreck of a forum thread LOL