amperex 6922 pq white label tubes

I am somewhat new to tubes so I apologize if this is a dumb question.  I am looking to get some amperex pq white label tubes but the prices are confusing.  There are matched pairs on ebay for 129.00 but there is also a guy on audio asylum selling matched pairs for 235.00.  They are both made in the usa.  Are these the same tubes and the audio asylum guy is just overpriced.  I am not sure about buying on ebay is why I am asking.  thanks
kedoades

Showing 1 response by gsm18439

There are many variations of 6922/7308/6dj8/CCa/etc - even with white lettering and coming from Amperex. Cost is determined not only by matching and measurements, but also by wear, when they were made, etc. There are codes to indicate year and date - closely matched tubes should also be matched as to manufacturing dates, for example. I have several pairs of Amperex USA-made white label 6922 and have typically paid about 200usd per matched pair. The Ebay listed pair has seen significant wear despite the measurements. Like frogman, I have used PQ (premium quality) labeled O-getters; the sound is glorious. The AudioAsylum pair seem to be a better deal.

If you really want to get confused:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8