Air Tight amps -- changing voltage to 120V or 230V

I am very interested in purchasing an Air Tight ATM-300R, but the US pricing is atrocious.

I was wondering if anyone has tried importing Air Tight amps from Japan and tried changing input voltage in the field ? Is it possible to do so (like Accuphase) or do I need a step-up transformer which is usually a terrible option.

Thanks!

essrand

Coming from japan its most likely going to be 100v so you'd need a step down transformer. 115-100v. unless you can find a European version of course. I'm not sure why your apposed to a step up/step down transformers I've used them in the past for japan 100v gear with no issue as long as you buy a good quality one higher then max power demand.   

changing the voltage for the until should be easy if there is a switch to allow that i.e. transformer taps for the different voltages. If there is not a switch then there still could be a small possibility that the installed transformer has the taps internally (but not connected) that may need to be connected. if not then the whole transformer would been to be changed. Either way if there is no switch to change voltages then its probably a technician level change at the minimum.  lets not even get into the warranty issues doing this outside of the factory if new.  IMO if there is not a switch then its probably best to use and external transformer. 

IMHO using a transformer is not a bad option.  Use a transformer with 2-4x the wattage rating that you need.  It will run cool and quiet and will not limit aperage to your amp.  Buy a quality brand.  Expect to spend several hundred dollars.

Jerry

These are all good points. 

But I do not want to use an external transformer at this point, so I am looking to hear from folks that have imported the 100V version of Air Tight gear.

And I want to ask them if easy voltage conversion (internal transformer tap change) is possible for Air Tight amps bought in Japan.