Advice on a tube tester

Well I just got kicked off Facebook for the weekend so I'll probably be active here.  Not sure if that is a plus or a minus for Audiogon.  😎

I'm looking to buy my first tube tester.  I want to be able to identify bad tubes, verify readings on "NOS" or "used, measures like new" in tubes I buy, and I need to sell off a bunch of tubes and I'd like to be able to test them before I sell them.  Selling a bad tube, refunding the money, leaves me out shipping, a lot of work and 3 good tubes in limbo. 

So I'm looking at a B&K 707/747 or a hickok 539A or similar, mostly just based on what I see that fits my needs and seems to be $500 or less.  I see tested and calibrated tube testers for $1500 on ebay but I think I can get by for a lot less.

Tubes I have to test are 6l6 series, EL84, OA3/4, 6922, WE396, KT88 and maybe a few others.  it would be nice to test 300B/350B tubes but I think most testers doen't do that. 

So I'd appreciate guidance from people who have been testing tubes for a while.

Thanks,

Jerry

128x128carlsbad

Thanks @gregdude I've watched his good videos.  He likes TV7.

@petg60 thanks for the details.  Turns out the D/U version is specially changed to address 6DJ8 tubes--which is half the tubes in my favorite amp....so that would be worth finding.

Jerry

If you want something more modern that doesn’t use 1950s technology and was probably made in the 50s, check out these people:

www.maximatcher.com

You’ll need separate testers for power and preamp tubes, which may give you more accurate readings. The cost for both the pre and power tube testers will be up around $2,000, but you should be able to recoup the cost when you’re finished with them.

They’re up in Washington so you can give them a call and judge for yourself if these are the right testers for you.

The Amplitrex mentioned in an earlier post is considered by some to be the best tester available today:

https://amplitrex.com/

Carlsbad,

tksteingraber's advice to contact Paul Hart is spot on. He recalibrated my Hickok 600 about 2 years ago and did a fantastic job and gave me great advice to boot. Even if you're going to do refurbishment and recalibration yourself, he's a great resource.

My system is pretty much all tube, and owning a tube tester has made that so much easier, and allowed me to take chances on cheap untested tubes that turned out to be NOS testing jewels. The Hickok greatly increases my joy in this crazy hobby.

One caution based on experience: you can sell tubes that test great and you know are perfectly functional, and the buyer will still hate them because they were lousy in their system. Refund them cheerfully and chalk it up as a cost of doing business. Most will love them and the honest seller goodwill is invaluable.

Best of luck on your journey. It's worth it.

B & K suits my needs and passed cal….but for the good stuuf i trust Andy at Vintage tube services…and RAM….. rip Roger…you are missed.