adante

anyone know why Elac is discontinuing this line?
mattz
Just wanted to chime in since I never replied since posting I had ordered the Adante AC-61 center channel quite some time ago.

Since I’m only using an Adante for HT center, I can’t really comment about its use for stereo, but I can say anyone who already own Adante’s that the center would be a great addition.

I didn’t have the stand at first but found it has better bass response on it’s dedicated stand.

So good in fact that I run my LCR in full range and often don’t turn on my Velodyne subs. The Adante bass is really articulate and might be the best aspect of the speaker. The L and R are the Cerious Too, an older speaker with a unique full ballistic ceramic poured cabinet that’s probably never been a technique utilized since.

I have TAD CR1’s in the same room but as part of a separate 2 channel system. At some point I’ll try the CR1’s as the L and R speaker just to see how all three concentric speakers work together.

At some point I’ll get around to hooking the single Adante to my BHK300 amp, just to hear it with music on excellent electronics but perhaps I might not really be able to get a good feel of what’s it capable of, or any shortcomings in the tweeter.

While there are far more advanced center speakers, for the amount I paid for the speaker and the stand it’s a ridiculous value that I still find hard to believe.

I have the Debut Reference dbr62 being delivered tomorrow....cant wait to put them tru their paces...
whoever in this post calls the Adantes an absolute flop is a dumb, foolish and ignorant idiot, who probably never ever even listened to them. I own a pair of the AF61 and also a pair of Dynaudio Confidence 5. The Adante Af61s sounded very bright in the first couple of weeks, almost shrill. They do need brake-in time to smoothen out. Once they are fully broken in the silk dome tweeter actually starts to relax and becomes a lot more balanced sounding- same is true for the mid range unit. Bass slam and extension were great from the beginning, but as mentioned before, compared to the Confidence 5, the mid range and tweeter sounded too bright in the first 3 weeks. After that female vocals became spot on. However, one statement is true, the Adante AF61s are very holographic in soundstage imaging, revealing the width and depth of the recorded soundstage with ease. They are also unforgiving- if your gear sucks, they will sound bad as well. On the contrary, you will hear every little upgrade and investment, from fuses to cables and interconnects, when your source and amplification are high quality. I have been using mainly PS Audio gear, BHK250, P15 powerplant, Directstream DAC, combined with a tuned Mystere CA21 tube preamp. Fuses are SR Orange, Interconnects are Nordost Tyr and Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6. Powercords are mainly from Pangea- Ac9SE and AC14XL Mk2 for the preamp, Wireworld Silver Electra 6 for the PS Audio DSD, streaming high res audio from my NAS and via Audirvana from a dedicated Mac Mini. At the current discount prices the Elac Andante AF-61 is a fantastic deal, but they prefer high quality gear to really unleash their true potential. 
Just as an FYI for readers that missed it.

"Conclusions
Yes, I had a few mild critiques of the Elac Adante AF-61, particularly for the need, with some music, in my very large room, of a good subwoofer to flesh out the bottom end, which turned a very good speaker into an exceptional one.

But with or without a subwoofer, I liked what I heard from the Adante AF-61s as soon as I hooked them up. I liked them even better after several weeks of listening. When I went back to check a few last-minute details while writing this review, I found it difficult to listen for only a few minutes and then return to my writing. I wanted to listen longer. I had to pull myself away. If that's not a solid recommendation, I don't know what is."

- Stereophile
Thomas J. Norton
https://www.stereophile.com/content/elac-adante-af-61-loudspeaker
I have had the Adante floorstanders for a year and a half now. I have them paired now with 2 of Danny Ritchie’s open baffle servo subs and some competent electronics. I was lucky to have a a good room to begin with (didn’t have to do any major remodeling) and have my room acoustics tweaked up to the nth degree as of now. I recently walked out of a 100k+ dollar system snickering to myself after realizing what a good thing i’ve got going at home with a pair of speakers that retailed for a measly 5k. I still have to pinch myself when i realize I picked them up for half the price last year.  I sometimes feel like kicking my other speakers that cost ten times as much.

When i sense the disgruntlement oozing out of other guys i know who’ve dropped six figures on a system, i realize what a joke all of this is. 

In any case, I greatly appreciate the "charity" that Mr. A. Jones has provided to the world of hifi.