Acurus A150 v. Bryston 4b

Looking for a stopgap amp for my Magnepan 1.7s until I can fund the amp I really want. Acurus A150 or the Bryston 4b, opinions? The Bryston is not an ST or SST.
sbm604

Showing 5 responses by wolf_garcia

I’ve owned a QSC GX3 for a few years and sometimes use it on pro audio gigs, and it’s a great sounding and really well designed friggin’ amp. It’s a bargain certainly and a real workhorse built like a tank, but for me its fan noise is way too loud for studio or hifi stuff unless you hide it under something maybe, and it’s NOT made in the USA (China) which is why it’s so inexpensive. Balanced and unbalanced inputs, level Note that if you use one for home listening be careful as pro amps like these really swing the juice and can instantly blow the drivers out of pretty much any hifi speaker. I saw one of these in a pic from an article about the Magico factory so I guess they like ’em too.
On the back of my QSC GX3 (which I actually DO still have) is a clear little sticker showing the wattage, barcode, mentions Costa Mesa, and also says Made in China. The amp you show in the pic is a GX7 from the QSC site "images" and made me wonder…hmmm...seriously…an under $300, 400 plus watts per side pro amp made in the USA? Dream on…Again, QSC makes great stuff, China or Costa Mesa, but implying their stuff is USA made seems like baloney from QSC (and obviously misleading to consumers), but not surprising really as this sort of thing isn't uncommon.
I just was poking around on Ebay and the first QSC GX3 (just like mine!) amp shown has the "Made in China" label visible, but weirdly many of the other GX amps either don’t show the back of the amp or the sticker is missing…conspiracy? Consumer fraud? OH NO! I actually own plenty of great stuff made in China so that’s not an issue, but otherwise…hmmm…look at pretty much any newish QSC product (powered speakers, etc.) sold by consumers on Ebay and the Made in China sticker is there, and stuff sold by dealers with what might be a QSC sourced pic has the sticker conveniently missing…the plot thickens...
For clarity and possible help in your seeming dilemma, I suggest you research comments from QSC in their forum where a QSC rep points out that some lines are of Chinese manufacture (the GX included) and others are from Costa Mesa. My wonderful Chinese made QSC amp came from a local Guitar Center in MA…if it’s grey market they certainly are doing a good job! Maybe you should go to a GC location and look at the labels on QSC stuff…I have actually done this recently as I was considering some of their powered monitors…all of those are labeled Made in China by the way (is Guitar Center capable of making their own QSC clones? Bastards!). The silver label in your pic DOES say GX7 and the pic was provided by QSC (sneaky) who seemingly have succeeded in pulling the wool over your eyes anyway, and you no longer have your GX3 to make your point…right? Thanks in advance for not responding, but since I’m here to help you understand international manufacturing processes, feel free to respond anyway. Just maybe do some research first.
My posts are nothing if not entertaining, albeit only to myself. I utterly understand all of the mb1 post, and can only offer this fact: QSC makes all of their GX line as well as most of their other pro audio gear in China.