Accuphase E-560 Voltage Conversion 100v to 230v

Hello All

I have just placed an order with a Japanese company to supply me with an Accuphase E-560 Integrated Amplifier. The obvious reason to order a Japanese (100v) Model is Price. I need to use it in the UK (230v 50hz). My initial thought was to use it with a Step down Transformer. However, I am getting increasingly concerned with idea.

I would really appreciate if someone can share their experience on the following:

1. Is there a performance issue with Step Down Transformer.
2. Has anyone used a Balanced Power supply with this Amp.
3. Advice on choosing Step down transformer.

And Most importantly:

4. Can it be converted to work on Higher Main Voltage of UK/EU/US.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Kam
onenippon

Showing 1 response by mechans

I don't mean to thread jack your thread, but I never understood the use of the phrase "step down transformer" when the voltage needs to be stepped up.
If it is any consolation to you I have heard of sucessful voltage conversions in both directions but have no personal experience doing it.
One of the problems encountered is people not recognizing the 100 volt Japaneses standard in this country where voltage are 115-120 volts with wide variances in some areas. This ultimately harms these pieces bought in many cases by GIs while in Japan.
It seems true, that step down transformers however work well from what I have read here and elsewhere, I certainly hope you find the same success.