845 or 300b with Agalme?

Hello, I have Horning Agalme speakers, I think the other horning speakers would be similar but just smaller. and I’m looking to hear who has heard them with 845 and 300b type amps.

my room is 28 x 18 dedicated music room

Everything I have read is having me lean toward the Thoress 845 mono’s

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks, Scott

52tiger

Showing 7 responses by grannyring

Thoress gear is built all part to part wired like a work of art. I repaired a Thoress preamp/phono and was impressed with the build (shipping damage). Old school in the very best sort of way.

I also heard the Horning Aristotle with the Tron 300b Signature and that is a special combo. Tron has unmatched resolution and tonal purity in my opinion. The sheer amount of inner detail and realism is arresting. I have never heard another 300b amp sound quite this way. You hear deeply into the performance like a great 2a3 based amp coupled with Tron’s uncanny purity.

@52tiger

First off, your speakers are magnificent! I heard the smaller Horning Aristotle with the New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 SE amplifier and it was a religious experience for me. The combo was magnificent. I also heard the Wolf Von Langa Sons on the same amp and the combo was once again stunning. I would put NAF on your radar as they make beautiful sounding amplifiers. Just beautiful. The sound is built from the bottom up with addictive body and tone. Great build quality to boot. They make 300b and 845 amps also. 

Did I say your speakers are magnificent? Good for you!

Colin of Gestalt Audio Design in Nashville sells Horning, NAF and Tron gear. He is great to work with should you want to visit on NAF or Tron’s first class 300b amp.

Both offer sonics at a much higher level than the Monaco. They cost a lot more however 😕. The Tron is several levels higher with the right speaker.  You have the right speaker. However, if you like a fleshy, muscular sound with gobs of body, the NAF is the ticket.  If you want realism, resolution and being transported to the venue type of experience, then Tron is unmatched in my experience.  

@52tiger 

The Monaco amp is very good and only time with the other amps mentioned, in your system, will determine if they are more engaging and enjoyable to you.  This passion is so very subjective.  

Too sad. If you could have a nice matching wood chassis made I bet it would be pretty easy to get the amp going again. I doubt the internals are damaged much or beyond repair.  As long as the iron is good the amp can live again 

I repaired a Thoress Full Function Super Preamp. I don’t own a turntable so I did not listen to the phono section which is said to be very good. I did listen to the line stage in my second shop system only. Really just for post repair testing.    I can tell you it had a very warm and richly textured sound. Not the most transparent piece I have heard, but it has that romantic tube sound. 

Do you have pics of the internals to judge the damage if any? I think you need a good wood worker to make a new chassis. Put your amp in the new chassis made to fit your top plate and amp perfectly.