30 amp receptacle for Krell 700cx

I will soon recieve a 700cx and was told to use a 30 amp circuit for this amp.I also concur as I may run 2.7ohm speakers later.I would like to know what receptacle is best for this amp.I have no problems with power out of my panel and 10gauge wiring(I currently have 4 20amp circuits).
thanks john
mclsound

Showing 1 response by gs5556

How does Krell define a 30-amp circuit? By the circuit breaker or the wire size?

If you install a 30-amp breaker, an inspector will look for 30-amp wire (#10 or fatter) and for 30-amp rated receptacles. Those receptacles will not fit the standard 15-amp power cord plug with parallel blades pointing up and down. Installing a 30-amp breaker on a circuit with standard receptacles is a code violation.

If you install the standard receptacles - parallel blades up and down - you can only install a maximum of a 20-amp breaker. That's because the power cord plug will limit the circuit to 15-amps.

A 20-amp circuit has a 20 amp breaker that feeds two to ten 15-amp receptacle/plugs for a total steady load of 16-amps. Or a single 20-amp receptacle (blades are perpendicular) feeding a 16-amp appliance.

A 30-amp circuit feeds either a dedicated 30-amp receptacle or multiple 30-A receptacles with no more that 24-amp appliance power draw total.

So when you get your amp, look at the plug. If it is a standard plug, you can use 30-amp wire in the wall (the Krell power cord is probably 10/3, which is 30-amp rated) but you can only use a 15-amp receptacle (or a combo 15/20-amp). But you cannot use a 30-amp breaker in most places. Check with your local BD.

Now you may ask why do amps with 15-amp plugs say in their specs that they draw a maximum power of, say, 6000 Watts -- which is 50-amps single phase. Won't that melt the 15-A plug and/or receptacle? No, because that is not a steady power draw. The over current is not greater than one half the power cycle and the 20-amp breaker lets that 50-amps pass since that breaker will have a 10,000 amp withstand rating for that time period. The danger is a fault within the equipment that draws a steady, say, 24 amps. A 30-A CB will happily let that pass but a 20-A CB will thermal trip and protect your property.