2016 best new guitar oriented music

As a fan of guitar oriented music, particularly from the 80's, I am always looking for new artists. I am looking forward to 2017 releases from established artists the Feelies and the Dream Syndicate Yesterday I read an interview with Steve Wynn of Dream Syndicate fame. In the article, he listed several of his favorite releases of 2016.Fortunately, I was not familiar with several of them and now have a nice shopping list. I already had:
Drive-By Truckers- American Band
Day of the Dead compilation set
and am familiar with Alejandro Escoverdo. His new album Burn Something... ,produced by Peter Buck, sounds like it is going to be his best release in years.
The new artists for me are:
Ryley Walker- Golden Sings.....
Steve Gunn- Eyes on the Lines
William Tyler- Modern Country
Chris Forsyth and the Solar Hotel Band- Rarity of Experience 
I have listened to several cuts on youtube and have ordered all of them.
Happy New Year and stay thirsty for new music my friends....
maxnewid

Showing 3 responses by maxnewid

I own all of the official releases for Wilco, the Dead, My Morning Jacket, and Widespread, but no moe (need to check them out). I also have numbers of great bootlegs. I was trying to find some NEW artists along the lines of the artists you listed. Thanks for responding. Hopefully 2017 will be a good year for new music.
Some great suggestions. I like the Byrds. I also like the Jayhawks who have a very Byrds' influenced sound. I agree that Buffalo Springfield is often overlooked. Last night I dusted off Rare Earth's "Live", Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal", and Stephen Still's live album for a little electric guitar after reading this post. Unfortunately, the Byrds and Rare Earth aren't going to be issuing any new music anytime soon. I think that if you check out the above referenced new artists, recommended by a musician I respect, you might find something exciting. You may not like them, but it doesn't cost anything to listen to a sample and who knows, they may become your new favorite. The problem with the current subscription based music model is that it is hard to find new music in the same vein as The Byrds, CNSY, Lou Reed, (basically pick your influence or style),etc because of the quantity of the cloud based platform. That's why I reached out to the informed readers on this blog in the first place. I would rather take a chance on a quality music recommendation from an A'gon participant than someone trying to sell me yet another monthly fee based platform based on an algorithm trying to capture my taste.. The best part about communicating with kindred music afficianados from around the globe is learning about great artists you have not been exposed to.
Love bluegrass as well. The Infamous Stringdusters, Old Crow Medicine Show, Railroad Earth, Yonder Mountain String Band, the Steeldrivers, Chris Thile (Nickle Creek), Sarah Jarosz, and even Steve Martin's bluegrass efforts are all fun. I go through phases which keeps life interesting. I will check out the No Depression site. Thanks.