180W 4ohm Bryston amp too much for 150W 4ohm SF?

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my system and am trying to match my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms to a suitable amplifier. Criteria: I am limited on space so the amplifier must be 14" deep or less. Thus I narrowed it down to 1. Bel Canto Ref150S (not preferred b/c it is a Class D Amp). 2. Bryston 2.5B SST2

Just wondering if the Bryston 2.5BSST2 180W into 4ohms will be too much for my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M (which are rated at 150W 4 ohms without clipping). By "too much" I mean will the speaker be overpowered to the point of potential damage to the internal bits? Bryston literature for the 2.5 did not say but I am pretty sure the 180W into 4ohm rating does not include clipping.

Is it safe to go the Bryston 2.5B SST2 route? Thoughts?
spizzi
I like what Frank VanAlstine said to me once," No customer ever said to me he was sorry he bought too big an amp".
No safety issues- it's easier to fry a speaker with too little power than with too much power
You should have no problems with the SF / Bryston combo. As a general rule, you are always better off with more power than less, as the amplifier has more headroom, thus avoiding going into distortion. Distortion creates heat that can destroy the speaker's voicecoil. Bryston makes excellent audio gear, covered by the best warranty and service in the business. Get the Bryston -- you won't regret it!
It doesn't really matter how powerful the amp is. That's what the volume control is for.