$1500 to spend...

Current system:
Marantz SA-KI Ruby CD/DAC
Rega Brio-R
Wharfedale Diamond 10.7

Hi all, I’m looking to upgrade my system with $1500 burning a hole in my pocket and wondering what others think. After a lot of research I’ve come to 2 options:

1) Purchase new speakers: Wharfedale EVO 4.3

or

2) Purchase used integrated: Rega Elicit-R or Yamaha A-S2100

I love the sound of my system and my speakers but I’ve recently moved to new home with a smaller listening room and my Diamonds sound slightly boomy/thudy in the bass. The new room is 12’D and ~10’W. A wall on the left and an open space to the living room on the left. Which option do you think better solves for my issue and also provides a significant upgrade for the money?

Cheers and TIA
leemaze

Showing 10 responses by leemaze

@dayglow Thanks for this - as I've continued to mull this decision, this is the same idea i keep coming back to!  I listened to some Ohm Walsh speakers yesterday, they sounded great, but I didn't a feeling that I needed them.  Regarding the Marantz integrateds, I've considered them before but get the vibe that they are somewhat 'lazy' sounding, not propulsive or engaging.  Would you agree or disagree with this assessment and are there other integrateds you might recommend?
@jjss49 hey mate. No offense taken. And I appreciate your more thoughtful second response. But I’ll say, as with your first response, it is not very helpful: you don’t offer opinions on my actual queries, you don’t offer any alternatives, and you even imply that what I really should do is almost double my budget. Again - not productive to the conversation. Hope you take this as constructive criticism of your posts. I’m sure you’re a nice guy or gal. Be well!
@mesch thanks for that thorough explanation and your theory makes a lot of sense!  I listen to a lot of indie pop, electro, rnb, and lots of Prince, so I definitely need those lower octaves. 
In a secondary post I noted that my budget already includes selling whatever component is replaced. Thanks again for your help?

ill also note that I was correct in assuming that you aren’t familiar with my speakers. 
Gosh I do hope you can move on from this and be well! Thank you!

thanks @mesch do your standmounts reproduce the full lower spectrum without a sub woofer? My listening room is also our family room so the simplicity of floorstanders is important. And i haven’t heard a stand mount that provides the same amount of sonic information as a floorstander. Please do advise if I’m incorrect!

thanks @jl35 ive Demo’d Maggies and they sound great but need to be too far from the front wall to use in a multifunctional space. 
Thanks @freediver have tried lots of moving around but not plugging the ports. Just did, already improved. So you vote for the amplifier? ;)I know my floorstanders might be a little big which is why I was going for the smaller floorstander in the EVO line with 5” woofers. My 10.7s have a much bigger cabinet and 6.5” woofers. Do you think the EVO 4.3 could be positioned closer to the wall and have less room interaction being smaller? I just really love the full sound of floorstanders and haven’t heard a stand mount reproduce something similar. 

BTW my $1500 includes selling whatever gets replaced. :)
Politely: @jjss49 your comment isn’t helpful and you are really wrong about the Wharfedale speakers. You probably haven’t even heard them. Please move on. Thank you. 

I’ve added the Ohm MicroWalsh Tall speakers to my consideration. Could my Brio-R handle them well?
Just to update here - I picked up Herbies gliders for my speakers and they changed the game.  Unbelievable how much they cleaned up my bloaty bass problem.  Also picked up a second-hand Rogue Sphinx and currently on the Tube merry-go-round.  Not sure if I like it better than the Brio-R.... We'll see.
Hi y’all just a quick update, my system has gone through some fun changes over the last 5 months:
In order - >

Herbie’s Gliders - significant soundstage and imaging improvement - kept constant for the last 5 months.

Rogue Sphinx v2 -> tried 4 sets of tubes, didn’t love anything - some fun moments but overall too much glare/grain with my speakers. And I couldn’t deal with the finicky nature of the tubes. Switched it out for a:

Yamaha A-S2100 -> *very* pretty, *very* detailed, a 3d soundstage approaching some of the tubes I tried. BUT lacking a bit of rhythm, a bit of engagement. So smooth and lush though. Was enjoying it but then came across a good deal on a:

Rega Elicit-R -> !!wow!! punchy, fun, engaging, exciting - brought the goosebump moments back. *slightest* grain and not as much detail compared with the Yamaha, so I tried a:

Synergistic Audio Orange Fuse in the Elicit-R, still breaking it in, but seems to have smoothed everything out. Going to swap in the old fuse for comparison this weekend.

Then I just added 2x Schumann Resonance Generators. - really increased the three-dimensionality and enveloping feel of the music. Very cool tweak.

So anyway - *really* loving the Elicit-R - just really satisfying to listen - really draws me into the music. Cheers all!!