$1500 for a whole system, budding audiophile

Just imagine you're in high school now. You're going to budget $1500 on Amplification, speakers, and a source/ sources. Where do you spend your money to get you through college and an entry level job? Let's assume you have the computer covered and not include cables or headphones in the budget. New? Vintage? Mix of both?
128x128patrickrealtor76

Showing 1 response by roscoeiii

If the computer is covered and you are using it as a source, I'd get a USB DAC. Schiit has one for around $100 and there are other nice options out there. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the iFi iDSD, which you could also use in a portable set up.

Then I'd look at a sub-$400 receiver/integrated amp. Rega Brio-R would be a good option, as would a nice vintage receiver. Think Panasonic has a nice integrated that they have paired with their SP-BS22-LR speakers at shows. There are also some nice amp kits and assembled amps from Class D Audio. I use one of these as a back-up amp and it sounds great.

If you want a turntable, I'd look at the U-Turn Orbit. Just released. Or go vintage, but there are risks of vintage turntables breaking down, needing repairs and that can get expensive.

AND THEN... blow the rest of your cash on speakers. Best bang for your buck. Due to shipping costs, you may be best off shopping local. If you are very lucky you could get a used pair of the excellent KEF LS50s for about $1000. Though likely used they will be a bit higher than that. But overall, looking for speakers locally will also allow you to audition them. Speakers can be a very personal choice. Beware jumping on a recommended speaker from a forum post without having an idea of what the recommender's preferences are. What kind of music does this person listen to and what qualities in the music are most important to that person? Some people are very interested in quality bass, others obsess about imaging and soundstage. Some like a more forward sound, some like a more laid back sound.

So spend the largest chunk of change on those speakers, but be sure to audition as many as possible before you pull the trigger and buy. Also be aware that speakers need to be well matched to the room, and that you will want to wait on buying an amp until you have your speakers picked out, as amp-speaker matching is also very important. Some speakers need some real power to sound their best, more efficient speakers can take many fewer watts and still sound great.

Hope this helps. Even though much discussed here can be very, very high dollar, it is absolutely possible to put together an excellent system with the budget you cited.