Bluesound Node (2021) PS upgrade to Teddy Pardo; is it worth it?

Hi guys, 

I was toying with upgrading my Bluesound Node (2021) power supply with the Teddy Pardo upgrade kit; around £400 with shipping to UK.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this, and was there a significant improvement to SQ?

I don't use the DAC in my Node, I use a Denafrips Ares II; with this in mind, would the TP upgrade be worth the money, or would I be better off putting the money aside and going for an upgrade to the Node further down the line i.e. a dedicated, stand alone streamer?

Thanks very much
128x128painter24

I have recent experience with Teddy Pardo power supplies.  If you are going to use Blusound for a transport only with Denfrips as a DAC, then the Teddy Pardo is just fine.  However, I don't think Teddy Pardo is that great for analog device (such as DAC or preamp).  This is due to the types of main power supply caps it uses (Cornell SLPX) and the regulator circuit itself. 

For a digital transport power supply, it is very good and will defintely be an improvement over the stock Bluesound switching power supply.

Anybody know what the cost is of the upgrade kit from the manufacturer in Poland? I think they offer LPS.

@auxinput 

Please explain the issue with the Pardo regulator circuit. He specifically  mentions it on his website.

My opinions are all based on listening.  I can't really give you a good "engineering description" of why I'm not getting the best sound from Teddo Pardo on analog components.  Sorry.

I don't want to discourage you with my comment.  The Teddy Pardo is a great product and if do the Teddo Pardo upgrade to your Bluesound, it will definitely be a significant upgrade in sound quality. 

At £400, it will be money well spent.  You would have to spend upwards of £3,000 to get a better dedicated streamer with good linear power supply and clocks (such as Aurender or Auralic).

My recollection is Pardo first made a name for himself with excellent LPS for NAIM analog products....

I do have two of his excellent PS running NAIM digital gear... servers...

I installed the PD Creative PS board in my 2i and added an inexpensive LPS that I found on Amazon in conjunction with my modded Orchid DAC. Heard a difference for the better right away. More relaxing sound, bigger sound stage cleaner presentation and the 2i is just streaming. I may try a more robust LPS down the road but I'm in no hurry to.

@auxinput thanks for that, that's really useful. I thought there would definitely be a SQ improvement, but not at the level you've described. Do you think I would see much improvement using only the coax digital out on the Node, as opposed to using the DAC in the Node?

Thanks very much 

It depends on your system (amp/speakers), but if your system has enough resolution, it will definitely show a difference when you upgrade a streamer/transport with a linear power supply - even if you just use it to send digital coax signals.

As far as Bluesound Node DAC vs Denafrips, it really comes down to personal preference on sonic signature. Based on what I have read, the Denafrips sound will have more weight and be thicker (maybe more natural as well due to the resistor ladder dac circuit).

If you want to try using the Blusound as a DAC, I would not do the Teddy Pardo solution. In addition to the types of caps and regulator Teddy Pardo has, the Buesound internal adapter card Teddy supplies does not have any additional filtering. It just has 3 regulators on the board to split the incoming voltage.

If you want to try to use the Blusound as a DAC and want to upgrade to linear power supply, I would get this internal adapter board (installs inside Blusound Node and replaces the internal power supply board):

bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface

Then you can use any external 5V linear power supply. I would recommend Farad Super 3. This solution is much more expensive than Teddy Pardo, but I think the results will be much better in the end if you want to use Blusound as a DAC.

Thanks again. 

I don't use the Node DAC at all, love the Denafrips. I run them with the the Naim Nait 5si, and Quad S2 speakers.

I love my system in essence, I just feel the Node is the weak element. A/B testing from the Node DAC and Denafrips, the Denafrips is hands down better, and I feel the Node is holding it back. I feel it has more to give; the Teddy Pardo may just give the Node that extra push from what you have described.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated 

At the moment I have the QED Reference Digital Audio 40, and a Wireworld Silver Starlight 7.

The QED was a starting point when I built my system, the Wireworld I bought pre-owned for a good price.

Currently using the Wireworld, it is more revealing than the QED

I will soon let you know.

I have a Teddy Pardo 5v LPS that I was using with a Chord Qutest. 

The Qutest was replaced by a Denafrips Pontus II so I am putting the TP LPS on my Node 2 (N130). All I had to do was order the kit and cable from TP for around $100.00 + shipping.

It arrives next week.

Rest of my rig:

BS Node 2

Denafrips Pontus II

Belles Aria Signature Integrated

Dynaudio Heritage Specials (being compared to S-40s now.)

I'd like to add my thoughts on the stock power supply of the Node2i. My preamp died so I'm now going direct from Node to amp (using an external Dac). Still enjoying streaming Qobuz but there's a noticeable lack of bass and low-end extension. IME, this is often the case when a component lacks a decent or sizable PS. Music also lacks weight, which is something my system had when using my Audio Note linestage with its large power supply/transformer.

This recent situation has me thinking about adding the Teddy Pardo LPS with Bluesound mod. I think it may be cost effective over upgrading to a streamer in the $2000 ballpark.

@ericsch  I see on his website the price is higher for the Node2i. The PS regulation is different than the new Node.

@lowrider57

Yes, I saw that. $435 into a $600 streamer.

Do you think it is cost effective, bang for the

buck, etc.

Putting $435 linear power supply into a $600 streamer is definitely a cost effective bang for the buck.  The performance is definitely an improvement.  If you look at all the music servers vendors, they will have a significant price difference between a model with switching power and a model with linear power. 

The difference between Innous Mini and Innous Zen is about $1400.  The Zen had a linear power supply and maybe an spdif output.

Melco has a $3k difference between N100 and N10 with the N10 external linear power supply being the only practical difference.

I have attached a $600 linear power supply to a $300 Tivo Bolt (DVR) and it made a huge improvement in sound quality.  Anything linear power supply you do for the Node2/2i will be an improvement.

@ericsch 

Teddy Pardo makes outstanding power supplies. There are many threads about streaming that state the cost of high quality sound comes at a price of $2000+ . If that's true, then the Node upgrade makes sense. I'm undecided.

I've made a significant upgrade in SQ with my Node2i by adding a Cullen C7 power cord and using CAT8 ethernet from the router. Pretty inexpensive for the increased performance.

I also have the Cullen C7 cable. It will not be compatible with the Pardo PS.

I too, am undecided.

Thanks for all the contributions to my OP. I think I'm going to take plunge on the TP PSU for my Node (2021). It seems to be a consensus that you would have to spend a lot more on a new streamer to see a significant SQ jump from an un-modded Node. 

Additionally, considering how well thought of TP PSUs are over on the Naim forums, I don't think there is any doubt over the quality of TP products; Naim users are pretty fanatical (in a positive way) and discerning about what non-Naim gear they insert in to their systems. 

Thanks for all your thoughts, much appreciated 👍

Just as an aside, I had a nice improvement, not night and day, but significant, by inserting a short length of optical cable between two TP Link Media Converters at the end of my run of Cat6a from my router, then a short run of Supra Cat8 with Telegarten (spelling?) connectors at each end, into the Node.

My router sits in the adjoining room, with the TV, TV service box, Sonos gear, smart lighting bridge, and few other bits and pieces. As you can imagine, not the quietest of electronic environments 🤔. This relatively inexpensive tweak, dropped the noise floor further, and "cleaned" up the overall signal.

I got this suggestion from this forum, I can't remember the contributor, but definitely worth doing considering the low cost 

Added a Teddy Pardo to my RME DAC and it made a noticeable improvement. What I noticed immediately was fuller deeper stage. Top end was more natural or relaxed and the bottom end is more extended. Doesn’t hurt using a quality power cord as well. I can’t imagine it will not make an improvement all around.

Just a heads up,

since the OP stated he was using an Aries II w/ the Node 2i.

This is Alvins [Denafrips] response.

"Coax pairing of the Node with Ares II, the 192khz was not able to decode. It could be matching/compatibility of the two devices. You may use OPT." 

@totem395 thanks for the info; do you have a link to Alvin's original post. I wonder if that's true for the Node (2021) which is what I have, not the 2i.

I'm sure I've seen the Ares II display 192khz on respective tracks/albums on Qobuz. 

Could be mistaken though

Thanks

Just had to check; thanks @totem395 , you've disturbed my evening meal 😁.

Yep, just started a 192khz on Qobuz; the Ares is displaying 48khz X4. 

Pheeeewwww 😊 one less thing to think about 🤔

some thoughts reterminate the Cullen C7 to IEC for the Pardo. I use a Kimber PK-10 on my Unitiserve Pardo LPS along w Stillpoints and an ancient VPI Magic Brick. I think this is a case where the frugality of Nobosound springs may be worthwhile…

Have fun !

@painter24 

do you have a link to Alvin's original post

It was an Email question I had sent to Alvin.

I just ordered A Musician Pegasus made in the same factory 

as Denafrips [a long story] close model wise to the Pontus II.

Might be awhile getting here.

@painter24 Similar to you, I have a Denafrips Pontus II DAC but with a Denafrips Hermes reclocker upstream, and I'm trying out a Bluesound Node 2021. Doing a streaming music sound quality comparison using high res songs on Qobuz via my laptop vs the Node, the better sound quality is coming from my laptop.  This is using the Denafrips Windows drivers and a cheap, generic USB cable into the Hermes vs coax digital out from the Node.  There's some infrequent pops and distortions on the USB connection when doing other operations on the laptop, but I like the USB sound more.  The USB sound is more natural, present, and full.  The Node has more of a sterile and constricted sound to my ear with thinner mids and bass.  No modifications to the stock PSU or power cable were made to my Node.

I'll either stick with USB or look for a different streamer with a better power supply.

@painter24 A few more things of note regarding my testing.  The laptop was drawing power from the battery, the coax cable from the Node is an Audioquest Forest (cheapest of their current digital coax line), and the USB board hardware in the Hermes is Denafrips in-house proprietary for optimizing the signal clean-up.  So the better USB sound I'm hearing could be primarily due to linear power from the Laptop battery plus the Hermes' USB design being exceptional.  I don't think the Audioquest coax cable is what would be holding back the Node sound.

I know I’m late, but has anyone compared the PD Creative psu to the Pardo psu on the Node N130?

PD currently doesn’t have a power supply for the US and suggested I get a S Booster, so Pardo would be the easiest to get, but…

Thanks

@curiousjim 

PD currently doesn’t have a power supply for the US

I was planning on upgrading my node 2i using the PD Creative "Bluesound Node 2 & 2i upgrade kit – super low noise PSU + interface".  Did PD Creative tell you that the PSU above will not work in the US?

Thanks in advance

@jetter 

Hey jetter,

I sent them an email asking what power supply I needed to go with the PD Creative board for the N130 and they said they had nothing 110 volts and told me to contact S Booster. I believe the 2i is a 7 volt system, so maybe you’ll have better luck.  I’m not sure what country you in, but that’s all I know. 

All the best.

JD

Hi, 

Just an update. I never did buy the Teddy Pardo upgrade and LPS; I found it hard to pull the trigger due to the upgrade and LPS costing nearly as much as the Node. 

In the end I went with the PD Creative option with the Low Noise PS. 

It was a significant improvement, but of course I cannot provide a comparison of TP and PD Creative. 

@painter24 

It'll be interesting to hear about your experience installing the PD and your opinion regarding the improvements it brings.

I am going to order one, did you buy it directly though the Polish PD website or is there a US distributer?

Thanks in advance

@jetter ​​​​​​

Hi,

I'm in the UK, so bought directly from Poland.

As for installation, it is very easy, and full instructions and pictures are included. The most difficult part was putting the damn Node back together 🙄😊. But that may be down to my big fat clumsy fingers 😜.

As for SQ improvements, there was a drop to the noise floor, music sounded more fluid and relaxed, not as "digital" if that makes sense. I do use an external DAC, but the benefits enjoyed are still present when sending the signal out to a DAC. I'm no expert, but I guess removing the in-built SMPS board is the main, beneficial factor.

@painter24 

Thank you for the follow up.  I am also using an external DAC with my 2i.  I know there has been some discussion regarding if the power supply upgrade is just as effective if using an external versus the built in DAC but never saw any conclusions. 

I am in the U.S. and as far as I can tell the order should be made through the Polish website. 

As your unit burns in feel free to write about further improvements.  You do think the improvements were worth the reasonable cost of the power supply upgrade?

Thanks

@jetter I made the upgrade back in March, I think it was. Definitely a good few months ago at any rate, so I feel it is fully settled in now.

The cost plus import costs/VAT for the board and PSU was a little over £200 - definitely worth the outlay for me. It makes the Node a different proposition compared to an un-modded unit.

There was/is definitely more clarity, and greater opening up of tracks. To my mind, the upgrade takes the Node to what it should be. I think Bluesound had a budget/price level to stick to and the in-built SMPS is the result. 

Sounds like a winner and I am going to go ahead and order one today.  Have a great day.

I did exactly what cetla416 did. I ordered the brick unit with the board from Creative and the total was less than $180. I got the same good results.

Hi @painter24 

What power supply did you buy? I’m looking at the Pardo and it’s huge.

thanks.

jd

@painter24 

I was afraid you were going to say that.  PD doesn’t have a PSU for 110 volts. As I mentioned before, they suggested I get their board and the PSU from S Booster. 
I just can’t pull the plug. 

Thanks.

The TP power supply for the Node N130 is now $475 plus $70 to the US and you don’t need the PD board. It comes with a wire harness that plugs in where the Node’s ps board was and has a plate to make it look like it belongs. 

you can buy a complete package PSU and regulator board for the 2i far cheaper then the $575 that TP is asking.

@malibu457

you can buy a complete package PSU and regulator board for the 2i far cheaper then the $575 that TP is asking.

Would you mind specifying the model and seller of the above upgrade PSU and regulator board that you are referring to?  Hopefully it works with the 2i. Thanks

Also, can someone describe the benefits, if any, that are achieved by using a Toslink Optical cable between the Node and external DAC?  Is there much of an improvement over using a quality Coax?

PD Creative offers a package for $300 USD. which includes a low noise LPS. not sure how it  compares to the SBosster PSU?