Bluesound Node (2021) PS upgrade to Teddy Pardo; is it worth it?

Hi guys, 

I was toying with upgrading my Bluesound Node (2021) power supply with the Teddy Pardo upgrade kit; around £400 with shipping to UK.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this, and was there a significant improvement to SQ?

I don't use the DAC in my Node, I use a Denafrips Ares II; with this in mind, would the TP upgrade be worth the money, or would I be better off putting the money aside and going for an upgrade to the Node further down the line i.e. a dedicated, stand alone streamer?

Thanks very much
128x128painter24

@jetter ​​​​​​

Hi,

I'm in the UK, so bought directly from Poland.

As for installation, it is very easy, and full instructions and pictures are included. The most difficult part was putting the damn Node back together 🙄😊. But that may be down to my big fat clumsy fingers 😜.

As for SQ improvements, there was a drop to the noise floor, music sounded more fluid and relaxed, not as "digital" if that makes sense. I do use an external DAC, but the benefits enjoyed are still present when sending the signal out to a DAC. I'm no expert, but I guess removing the in-built SMPS board is the main, beneficial factor.

@painter24 

Thank you for the follow up.  I am also using an external DAC with my 2i.  I know there has been some discussion regarding if the power supply upgrade is just as effective if using an external versus the built in DAC but never saw any conclusions. 

I am in the U.S. and as far as I can tell the order should be made through the Polish website. 

As your unit burns in feel free to write about further improvements.  You do think the improvements were worth the reasonable cost of the power supply upgrade?

Thanks

@jetter I made the upgrade back in March, I think it was. Definitely a good few months ago at any rate, so I feel it is fully settled in now.

The cost plus import costs/VAT for the board and PSU was a little over £200 - definitely worth the outlay for me. It makes the Node a different proposition compared to an un-modded unit.

There was/is definitely more clarity, and greater opening up of tracks. To my mind, the upgrade takes the Node to what it should be. I think Bluesound had a budget/price level to stick to and the in-built SMPS is the result. 

Sounds like a winner and I am going to go ahead and order one today.  Have a great day.

I did exactly what cetla416 did. I ordered the brick unit with the board from Creative and the total was less than $180. I got the same good results.