Shipping Expensive Speakers? WATCH OUT

Be very careful if you have to ship expensive & heavy speakers these days.
BAX Global now only insures up to only for $500 for damage.
UPS freight will insure for up to $50K, but speakers must be new & crated & only with a "managers approval".
Moving companies will insure @ $10 per $1K value, but must be crated (if you put your trust in them).
Unless you have "your" speakers on your home owners policy (& you had better check with them first), it could get very hairy.
Just a heads up as I was about to ship 550 lbs. @ $25K value last week & ran into this situation.
Most companies will insure for full value if lost, but not for the damage (that they themselves do).
To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
All the best
Paladin
128x128paladin
Post removed 
Pbb
Why don't you rent a truck and pick-up the speaker's? Some of the newer U-Haul trucks are nice.
Manufacturers & dealers usually have their own private insurance & can always replace a "NIB" production speaker.
For the most part - "WE" whom try to sell our items here have very few to no choices.
I have outlined most of the pitfalls in the original message.
It is up to "YOU" the shipper to get the proper information in writing from the shipper as to exactly what & how much they will pay out for "DAMAGE" (less their deductable).
Homeowners insurance may or may not be responsible for damage in shipping - Check with them first.
Every carrier in my case they had me jumping through hoops - First they say OK & then their stipulations.
I used BAX Global about 2 years ago to ship my SF Amati's & to receive my SF Stradavari's & both shipments/deliveries went perfect.
Last week they (BAX) told me that they will not insure for over $500 for damage as the have had too many claims.
Let me say this again:
GET IT ALL IN WRITING (ESPECIALLY DAMAGE)!
Out of the country? FORGETABOUTIT!
Final word of advice:
1) Do all your homework first & eliminate any surprises.
2) Make sure that you are 100% covered for damage less any deductable & not just loss insurance.
3) Dont't get ripped off for re-packaging (crates) as they usualy cost $250 per + extra freight weight (could equal another $1K).
4) Take plenty of pictures of the items you are shipping prior to packaging WITH DATE so you have enough proof as to the condition of what you are shipping.
5) Package very carefully.
6 - 10 Hope for the best as it will probably take at least about 2 months to recover a claim once it is filed.
Think about this:
You buy a set of speakers $40K retail speakers @ $25K & with their proper packaging, shipping & insurance is another $2,500 or 10% - Are you really saving any money?
Don't forget that the seller is responsible for anything wrong here & must refund the $ if not as posted/advertized when delivered.
Best of luck