One's trash is someone else's treasure

I would be interested to find out what “treasures” you people have come across in your journey to audio nirvana on the used market. For me, it was in 1993 (I don’t remember if the internet was already at its early stages of development – I don’t think so), and I came across an ad in our local newspaper for a Linn LP-12. The second I read the ad, I immediately called the seller who happens to be this older fellow who obviously didn’t have the slightest clue what he’s about to relinquish. I drove to his apartment and there it was, a Linn LP-12 complete with an LVX tone arm, a K9 cartridge and the smoke dustcover – all in excellent condition. The asking price? $100!!!! While I was in his apartment checking the table out, the seller received about three phone calls regarding the LP-12 too bad for those prospective buyers but first come, first serve. Talk about someone’s trash being someone else’s treasure!!!! About three years later, I sold the table for $900! It was about this time when the digital front end was really taking off with the transport and outboard DAC options. Now, I’m back into vinyl (just recently got back actually) and have a VPI Scout Aries with JMW 9 arm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. This time, my analog set up is a keeper!!!! What treasures have you come across??????
gemini
guys, guys...i really didn't think people would be misinterpreting my thread this way. there was a used product for sale at a ridiculously cheap price. i don't know if this fellow just received it from someone, or whatever. bottom line is, i never coerced him to sell the table at that price. it was there for the taking, i was first on line, what was i supposed to do - shake his head and tell him to re-advertise for a higher price????? let's not be self-righteous here folks - if you were me, what would you have done differently? this is simply a case of someone's trash being somebody's treasure. if this doesn't happen in life, the proverbial saying would not have been coined at all....let's just try to read my thread like it's intended to be read. the older fellow from whom i bought the linn didn't seem senile or whatever...he was coherent and actually had a nice pad. for you to accuse me of taking advantage of other people without fully knowing the background, i think, is quite tactless.
I remember the time I was dealing with a blind older fellow who was in a wheelchair. His wife had just passed away a day or two earlier, and my oh my what a deal I was able to get on a wonderful preamp. All it cost me was my self-respect and dignity. WOW. Perhaps a story you should not share here.
this is getting blown way out of proportion. if this thread has offended anyone out there, apologies then...it was meant to be a simple thread other good deals people have come across....i'm truly amazed at how this thread has materialized thus far...just enjoy life guys and chill out....life's just way too short to be taking this way too seriously....over and out.
gemini:

what you could have done is offer him more than he asked--a price that still would be less than what you could get on audiogon.
LOL. You just passed some major gas during a church service. Trying to apologize doesn't help at all. Phew!
You'll just get more glares from the congregation whose mean age is probably a lot closer to your victim's than yours.

FWIW I agree with Mr Tennis. That IS what I would have done.

PS, Now if you want to discuss real deals, let me tell you about the time I screwed a too eager audio dealer.........Naw, probably the wrong forum too. :-)