Retail Music Stores Gone

We better pay real close attention to what is going on people. When companies like Tower Records close their doors, we got a problem! Audiophiles never download! Right?
zane
I agree with Itsalldark that Barnes & Noble has the correct model for the brick & mortar music store in times of declining CD sales. They carry less inventory than the CD retail palaces of yore, but their corporate buyers have carefully targeted the 35-60 year old demographic that sustains hard-copy CD purchases. (Their jazz & classical sections are far better than my local indie record store.) The 10% membership discount, taken together with frequently emailed 15% off coupons, makes fair value for repeat buyers. Unfortunately of late the DVD department has displaced part of the CD department, so I don't know how long this will last. But in any case I'll probably die out along with other the audio dinosaurs who are not embarassed to admit they've never downloaded a single song...
I have to disagree with the first poster, I really have felt the loss of Tower. I have bought at Tower since there was vinyl and 8 tracks only. I usually could always be assured of finding what I wanted and cd/dvd is the only kind of shopping I enjoy. A chain called Rasputin is the only survior in my area and they ironically are moving to Tower's vacated building. The Rasputin store is a couple of blocks away. My last 2 cd purchases have been at Borders, I think that's sad. The selection is poor (my opinion) but they did have something that Rasputin didn't. I do buy at Amazon but no, I don't download for playback on my rig. I don't think it sounds as good.
For any who remembers, the Towers in Boston at Mass. Ave. & Newbury St. was a really cool 3 floor store with gazillions of items having anything to do with music...more selections than I've ever seen elsewhere.

And, GASP, I was in a Best Buys that actually had a small selection [40 to 50] of SACD's and DVD-A's here in AZ, where I now live.
Barnes and Noble, as a place to buy CD's?

Overpriced...overpriced and poor selection. Besides, the musicsellers there have now developed this "hard close" strategy when they just wouldn't leave alone. The music sales there must be not up to snuff.
Nonsense uhurit,

A few recent scores as Barnes & Noble, including some off-beat labels:

Ali Farka Toure "Savane"
Kenny Werner "Lawn Chair Society"
Daniel Levin Quartet "Some Trees"
Lee Hazelwood "Cake or Death"
Sonny Rollings "Please"
Various Chesky SACDs

Many at 25% discount after membership card & emailed coupons.