The Best Midrange in the World Right Now

There seem to be a growing number of posts which lament the fact that hi fi has gotten too hi fi, too neurotic, and just doesn't sound good.

As I thought about this, I realized that many of the most enduring, classic audio products (Quads? LS35a's? ARC tube amps & preamps? Apogees?) were noted not for their "transparency", thunderous bass, "resolution" or high frequency "extension".

No, what seems to have stood the test of time was old fashioned, middle of the road MIDrange. Is midrange the best benchmark for our hobby?

In many threads, a mention of midrange seems almost quaint and/or apologetic:

" the classic ________ doesn't have the "resolution" of many of today's products in the $150 to $200,000 category, but it still boasts MIDrange which will put all of them to shame!.."

I find this very curious, as to me, there is no high end without glorious, gorgeous, natural, startlingly lifelike MIDrange.

Please, support midrange.

And tell us: what components or combination of components can still deliver good old fashioned midrange today?
cwlondon
Shardorne, I stand corrected. The funny thing is, when I listen to this intro, the lowest register does not sound like a bow drawing, rather like an embouchere that is beginning to collapse. I'll listen to the recording again later today just to identify the differences you describe. Nonetheless (and I love to use words like that) the bottom-end reproduction of this intro has flummoxed every speaker I've heard - and I use this piece toward that end.

Thanks for the insight.
the bottom-end reproduction of this intro has flummoxed every speaker I've heard

It is indeed a great intro...the flatulant bass trombone and the double bass together make a huge sound....like something deep primordial, the belly of the whale...uh oh...getting into mythology here.

BTW...if you liked that....then try This is the Dirty Dozen Brass Band Collection "Oop Pop a Dah" and others ....absolutely great lively fun stuff with sounds from the Sousaphone and Baritone Sax.
cwlondon:

only you can answer your own question. the concept of "best" is completely out of context without a normative structure which specifies attributes of sonic excellence.
Shadorne, I love the Dozen! Isn't on that cut on the Collection? ...and of course the Danny Barker special, "Don't You Feel My Leg..."

Elvis Costello has championed them but outside of Nawlins they don't get nearly the attention they should.

But, we're off topic here, aren't we? Anyway, these are yet more opportunities to assess one's midrange...LOL
In light of this thread, an email from Musical Fidelity, I suppose this is their view...

Do you have a hi-fi system or just an overpriced music centre?

It's very simple to tell them apart: dynamic range is the main measure of a real hi-fi system.

Can your system produce unclipped 105dB peaks? If so, then
congratulations on owning genuine hi-fi. If it can't, then no matter how much it cost, or what it's called, it's just an overpriced music centre.

Most loudspeakers need about 500 unclipped watts to achieve peaks of 105dB at about ten feet.

That's a lot more power than most so-called hi-fi amplifiers have. Imagine asking a sewing machine motor to power a Formula One car, and you have an idea.

You can hear when a hi-fi system is underpowered, because it clips, which limits the dynamic range. The music sounds sharp and edgy and it feels cramped.

But when loudspeakers are given enough power, a system can produce awesome dynamics, with sound that feels so real you can almost touch it.

Check the chart to find out how much power you need to turn your existing system into real hi-fi.

And relax. You can get all the power you need. Visit musicalfidelity.com at 10.10 am on 1st May 2007 to find out how.

How much power do you need for a proper hi-fi system.

Loudspeaker sensitity/Amp power for 105dB peak
83db/800 watts per channel
85/500
87/325
89/200
91/130