If you had to pay full retail, would you...???

I recently got the Music Direct catalog in the mail. Lots of cool gear, interesting tweaks, awesome LPs. Looking over the catalog several times, I said to myself, "man, there are a lot of expensive tweaks which the un-initiated must think is simply crazy". What also struck me is that all the stuff I want, is ultra expensive and the stuff at "real-world prices" are nothing really spectacular. Even at the low end side of "high-end" gear, I would be laying out considerably more than if I went to Best Buy and bought an All in one system.

So, here is where I am headed. I have put together a pretty nice system, almost entirely found here on Audiogon, over back in the day at Audiomart. I scored my amps which retail for $13,000 for $4000. My speakers retailed for $7500 and I got em for $1500. My turntable was $500, which retail was $2500. If, I bought a new $500 turntable, I would get like a Music Fidelity MF, entry level one.

if you bought most of your system used, if you had to start from square one and had to buy Full retail, would you still be into this hobby?

Entry level high end gear really does not interest me. it lacks pizzaz, like the Avid Reference has. For what I paid for my AudioLogic tube DAC, I could only afford a Mid-level Marantz. I beleive I would still be a Music lover, but if forced to spend Full retail for high end gear, I think I would opt for mass market mid-fi, or simply do a laptop based digital system through a mass market company.
128x128justlisten
However, the audio hobbyist (this does not include most buy-and-hold stereo owners) is no different than an automobile or model train enthusiast...constantly tweaking and improving the object of desire. :)
Tvad

Can't agree more. We even can take this statement to the next level. If everyone would hold on to their equipment forever, people like John Bowers, Richard Vandersteen and thousands of other researchers could retire and keep making money by building same design forever.

To build your own system is same thing since it consists of various components. People change components to find sound that they looking for of to experience something new. But it's not for everyone. Not everyone has time for it or passion towards the same hobby that would last forever. For some it's until they find the sound that they can live with for the rest of their lives, for some it's a hobby, and some like to be informed about technological progress and constantly try something new.

The answer to original question is yes; because my love for music is greater then love for money. If I had to I would pay for it full price and still be in this hobby. My system would not sound as good as it is now and I would take small steps to improve it. So far I didn't pay full retail cause I'm a student.
Tvad: my system has been "stable" for 10 years: AR LS-15, Mesa Baron (w/ EL-34's), Infinity PF-R, Rega Planar 3, DB Systems Phono Pre, Nak Dragon, Muse Model 2, Pioneer PD-65 (transport) w/Illuminati cable, MIT CVTerminator Series 2 Tube spkr cables, MIT interc. Bought shortly before marriage and child, hence the upgrade path ended. All good, cost-effective stuff, and I have been pleased with this system. The Rega, Mesa and Muse were retail, rest was discounted. A significant upgrade would cost big bucks today. Now have smaller room and no wife, suggestions welcome.
I have had the same system for about 7 years and, though I could've afforded more, I have been quite happy with it. I have heard better speakers and better gear but enjoy music and have chosen to be content. I have done some mild tweeks and may have a totally different and more expensive system one day, but probably not. Contentment is a choice and the law of diminishing returns kicks in early. Most here would say that I'm not an audiophile and that my gear is mid fi, and that may be true. But I read audiogon daily and listen with friends and visit retailers on trips to other cities. However, I still believe it's about the music... and no, I bought half at discount from a local retailor and half online.
john
Yes.

I did before Ebay and Audiogon came into being, so if for some inexplicable reason they were gone, I would, reluctantly, go back to buying new.

Luckily, I am just about at the point of being at the end of my upgrade process, so it probably would not affect me for a decade or so. (I typically upgrade every 10-15 years or so.)

My two cents worth!
D_Edwards, if you had told the customer that you can't give him 20% because of such and such, but you will give him 10% or 5%, you might have had the sale. Some people--many people, though I'm not one of them--can't be happy unless they feel they are getting an "edge" somehow

Agree. Doing sales on a side I learned that it's better to make some money then no money. There always will be people who want some kind of a discount and if I see that I can make some money I'm selling it and moving on. Just my opinion.