Do you ever use the balance on your pre amp?

I haven't had a balance control in ages. Since I moved (1.5years ago) my new crib has posed some major changes. Anyway, I found that the vocals on just about every recording were slightly off center, but enough to bug me. I new it was because of the set-up of my speakers in relation to the side walls. One speaker being near a side wall and one having no side wall. Anyway, my new pre amp has a balance control that I never thought to even look for. I know it's crazy. Anyway, today I'm listening to my tunes and after discovering the balance I centered my vocals. Not only is the centered vocal oh so palpable and visceral, but the entire soundscape. Whattayaknow...Any of you guys relate to my experience. Pre alzheimmers experience, as well...lol...
128x128warrenh
I too became aware of slightly off center imaging from critically listening to other systems. The solution came with some simple room treatments. First reflections and rear corners defusers helped balance everything nicely. Now the only time I turn the Balance control is for system diagnosis.
If the "only slightly off center image" could be taken care of by a few clicks of the remote, why go for the expense of the room treatments? I would think room treatments have a much more profound affect on many other things other than the center image?
In my case, it's not so much imaging, but volume (sound level) that a hair off center seems to balance. One side of the room is slightly larger (greater volume) than the other. There are other things I want to do with the room, so I'm taking the opportunity to help the sound as well.
I have the same problem. One side of my room is open and the speaker on that side loses the side wall for reverb etc. Anything I could do, acoustically, would have a VERY strong negativo WAF...
Although my ARC Ref 3 has a balance control, going to mono is the first thing I try to cure an unbalanced image. My room also is asymmetrical but the speakers are positioned so that the sound is balanced on good recordings. If it isn't, my first assumption is that it must have been the sound engineer's fault. After 20++ years of pursuing the 'absolute sound' in stereo on vinyl in classical, jazz and rock, I've come to suspect that a great many stereo recordings (more than half, perhaps?) in fact never had a stable, balanced image on the master, not to mention on the copies that were issued and reissued, regardless of format.