Tube question

I'm new to tubes, but there is a couple of things (well more than a couple, but for now): Why, with all of our modern technology, is it that we cannot make a tube with the sound quality of the ones in the late 50s to early 70s. What was it about that time, that we cannot seem to duplicate that quality today. I never, when hearing the scoop about great tubes, hear any new tube manufacturers being mentioned. Are there Chinese, Russian, American or the like, companies making very high quality sounding and constructed tubes? thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
Post removed 
Why, for instance, with the labor cost in China, can't they make as good a tube as Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken, or the rest? Or do they, but we can't justify purchasing them and recommending them because they are so darn cheap? And you know that anything in hi end audio that is inexpensive can't be hi end...Also, what brand tubes, are CJ, Carey, Art Audio, etc. using in their rigs? Another also: Can/does Shuguang (specifically) make as good a tube as Siemens, Amperex etc did? What is it about a 6922 tube, or the like, that we cannot get right today? What is the complex concepts todays tube manufacturers are not getting right? Materials, labor, it would seem Russia, China has that? No? Why can't they make an even better tube? No market? What is Shuguang doing now, then? Still confused. Sorry for the plethora of ????, but I'm still not getting the answer.
I am not a tube expert by any means but I do think that for the money spent the SED el34 are a hellavu good tube.Many other very good new production tubes out there..Sure the NOS Mullard/Telefunkens tubes are great,but what did they cost when new..You really need to campare the cost vs cost on all accounts.Look at the cost of new autos today..Are they better or worse??? Good question! For me its a little of both.Whatever works.Not all Nos tubes work best in all situations..Its all a matter of what works for you and how deep your pockets are and if you willing to drop the extra $$$ in the Big Black Hole!
i think it is more of the case of the "new tube sound", which is very resolving and much closer to solid state. circuits are designed today not to be tube sensitive so that it almost doesn't matter what tube you use.

the tube is less important than the circuit. the circuit compensates for the current stock of tubes.

tube gear sounds very different today than irt did 30 years ago, regardless of ehat tubes you use.
Warrenh, if you'll head over to www.vintagetubeservices.com you'll find page after page of historical insights ( & photos) offering glimpses into the manufacturing processes of bygone times. Modern tube manufacturers have sales ONLY to the musical instrument and audio market, they do not have the support of military, television, and radio markets that endowed manufacturers of the past with much greater resources. Yes, the Russians & Chinese are filling a market void, but to reach the heights of manufacturing prowess greats of the past achieved would require much greater investment in R&D, facilities, and worker training. The current size of the tube market doesn't make that greater investment a wise decision from a managerial perspective. If you were to quadruple your investment in manufacturing, you'd have to recoup that in greater sales volume or you're out of business.